Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pages WebDAV Login bug and work around

I discovered what appears to be a bug in the WebDAV login. If you setup a WebDAV login, that account association will be saved until you manually select "Sign Out". This sounds like it should be expected behavior, but in circumstances where that login becomes unavailable, entering new login credentials or a different server will not be saved after that single use. When you try and use WebDAV again, it will default to the original set of credentials rather than the last successful login.

Therefor, if you plan to change WebDAV Servers or accounts, it is vital to make sure that you log out first.

iPad, iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 9:16 AM

19 replies

Sep 24, 2010 3:22 PM in response to Druce

Thanks for the observation, but I have a simpler question. When I try to log in to Dropbox from within the Pages app, it keeps returning an error/try again message. I know the userID and password are correct, and in the server box I've entered https://www.dropbox.com, https://www.dropbox.com/login, https://www.dropbox.com/user and anything else I can think of, to no avail. Could it be that, since I also logged on to IDisk, I have to log out of that, and then log in to Dropbox?

Sep 27, 2010 9:06 AM in response to Druce

I'm finding a different/related login issue. I have a local webDAV server on my LAN. I can get to it via the Finder on the iMac, but not on the iPad in Pages. I'm using a non-standard port, say for illustration it is 7777. Let's say the server is on 10.0.1.80. The server directory is /ABC

Using Finder, I Go to Server at http://10.0.1.80:7777/ABC and the server mounts and Finder says "Connect as WebDAV." That's great, just what I want.

In Pages on the iPad, I try to download from WebDAV, get the WebDAV Sign In, fill out the server address http://10.0.1.80:7777/ABC (and the right User Name and Password), and I get the error: "Server not found. 10.0.1.30"

What's up with this?

Oct 27, 2010 10:52 AM in response to Druce

Druce wrote:
I discovered what appears to be a bug in the WebDAV login. If you setup a WebDAV login, that account association will be saved until you manually select "Sign Out". This sounds like it should be expected behavior, but in circumstances where that login becomes unavailable, entering new login credentials or a different server will not be saved after that single use. When you try and use WebDAV again, it will default to the original set of credentials rather than the last successful login.

Therefor, if you plan to change WebDAV Servers or accounts, it is vital to make sure that you log out first.
Druce wrote:

I have the same problem, I can't log out of the server which Pages holds the setting for because I no longer have an account with that server.

The sequence of events is as follows:
1. Attempt to export a document to WebDAV
2. Upon receiving the following error message: "An error occurred please try again."
3. There is no sign-out option as the dialog box closes as soon as you click OK

Apple Support - Is it possible to force a setting or reset the log-in credentials?

Oct 28, 2010 2:40 PM in response to Craig Stark

I have found that Pages only supports the standard https port 443 (and I think http on 80, but not tried that). As my WebDAV server is behind my router, I always use my external ip and get it to forward port 443 to my servers port 5006, which is what it uses for WebDAV (and although it can be changed, it won't accept 443 as that's reserved). Then Pages works.

Apr 27, 2011 3:33 PM in response to Steve8778435342

I have the same problem as Steve, and no, the link that Craig provided did not solve it. He is the breakdown of the problem

1) I bought the iPad 2 and all of iWork.

2) I found out the iWork is terrible incompatible with anything that I use.

3) I spent $100 to by the Airstash to be able to use its local WebDAV features.

4) In the mean time, I set up a temporary account with Ajaxfilebrowser, to have at least basic usability out of my overpriced iworks suite.

5) The Airstash arrived in the mail, and the temporary Ajaxfilebrowser account had terminated itself.

6) I tried to set up my Airstash WebDAV, only to find out that iWork supports only one WebDAV account at a time.

7 part 1) I tried to remove my WebDAV account, only to find out that you have to log into it, before you can press the "sign out" button.

7 part 2) I cannot log into the Ajaxfilebrowser account, because it does not exist anymore.

7 part 3) I cannot reopen the same Ajaxfilebrowser account, because it is a randomly assigned number.

8) Now my iWork apps are useless, because I cannot log out of the non existing WebDAV account.

9) Now I literally wasted $637.49 on the iPad, about $70 on accessories, about $100 on apps and $109.99 on the Airstash, and after all of that, Apple left me in a ditch.

Please help. Any and all advice is welcome.

If apple cannot resolve their convoluted programing, of which this problem is only the tip of the iceberg, then I feel obligated as responsible citizen to sue them into being more considerate of their customers.

Thank you, in advance, for your help, V

Apr 27, 2011 6:29 PM in response to vlwithipad2

Alright, I was able to fix it. Lucky, (Thank the Glorious, Gracious God) Ajaxfilebrowser was nice to me. It reinitiated my account, when I logged into it from a Web browser. I was than able to "sign out," with Pages.

However, the problem remains. I was lucky that Ajaxfilebrowser reinitiated my session, and it was free. Imagine what would happen, when a person has the same problem with a service that costs $50 for the subscription, and the reason he/she wants to sign out is to avoid paying for that new subscription.

May 31, 2011 10:11 PM in response to Druce

I have the same problem. Pages still remember the old but invalid WebDAV account. I can't connect to my new WebDAV account. Today there is a new update to Pages. But the problem still exists. From the date of the first post till today, 8 months have passed. No fix to this? I don't believe this problem take more than 1 day to fix. What is happen, Apple?

Sep 4, 2011 4:56 AM in response to Druce

I have been subscribed to a WebDav service which has ceased to exist, so when I attempt to connect using Pages or Numbers on my iPad I get an error message which makes the signout button unavailable. This is what I did to reset the WebDav account:

1. Connecting my iPad to my Mac, I used the IPhone explorer app on the Mac to change the iOS Pages and Numbers preferences on my iPad.

2. Using iPhone Explorer drill down to Apps/Pages/Library/Preferences/

3. Select com.apple.Pages.plist and drag to desktop creating a copy. Open using text editor such as TextWrangler.

4. Search for "TSAWebDAVNetworkPlace" where you will find the WebDav settings. Delete the strings inside the tags associated with url, username and uuid. Do not delete the tags themselves.

5. Save and drag the file back into the iPhone Explorer window. Say 'yes' to overwrite file.

6. Repeat with Numbers and Keynote as necessary.

7. The iWork apps will then prompt you for account details when you select Share > Copy to WebDav.

I now just need to find a free replacement for dropdab.appspot.com!

Sep 10, 2011 12:00 AM in response to Druce

Hello all

DropDav (Limited) recently shut down and this meant, if this was your webdav provider say for IPad Numbers, that when you selected WebDAV to save file you couldn't log out to re-configure away from the now dead service.

I simply deleted all my Iworks apps on the IPad and reloaded them. I was then able, at the first instance of uploading a file through WebDAV, to configure with my new provider. Incidentally I used the smestorage app to keep a no-recurring cost way to WebDAV.

As I looked for a solution I was amazed at the number of people who were blaming Apple for clunky technology by not allowing a greater freedom of file transfer. I wonder what these people expect when iPad has come to us as any easy machine to use and I find that even the Luddites are enjoying IPad.

iPad Pages WebDAV Login bug and work around

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.