Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode, wont restore - Error (9)

Hey all,

At my wits end here, my phone froze on the train home tonight, rebooted it, and it came up with the connect to iTunes icon.

Looks like its in recovery mode and I cant get it out. Ive tried getting into DFU mode, different USB ports, different machines, different cables, re-installing iTunes AND RecBoot on Windows and OS X.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do?

13" MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 1GB DDR 80GB HD

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 5:33 PM

26 replies

Sep 3, 2011 8:38 AM in response to nickb34

Well, as a start, Recboot hosed the network database on your computer, which could be the problem. Especially if you had used it at some time in the past. Look in /etc/hosts, and if you see any lines containing "gs.apple.com" delete those lines.

From your profile you are also using a version of OS X that is not compatible with iTunes 10, which is required to update iPhones. You need OS X Leopard 10.5.8 as a minimum.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error9 for other tips. You could have a bad or dirty connector on the iPhone also. Try cleaning it with a soft, dry toothbrush.

Sep 3, 2011 12:12 PM in response to tom298

Why would you do that? I've had 2 iPhones, each for 2 years, and have had no problems of any kind with either that I couldn't easily fix. And the buyer of my first phone is still using it. If you have a problem it can be fixed using authorized Apple diagnostic procedures. If you try an unauthorized solution, like Recboot or TinyUmbrella, you are on your own forever more.

Sep 4, 2011 9:16 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

You know? I have always felt it was pretty disturbing that apple doesn't (or claims to not) moderate the support discussion that they direct to be used to discuss issues with their products. It's almost like the mother that waits for their child to leave for school before riffling through their under wear draw in search of wrong doing. Or maybe it's just an opportunity to deny any responsibility for what may be written in the discussion forum. Take for example, the threads where Recboot and TinyUmbrella are refered to as the solution to getting out of a recovery cycle. Honestly, if people are crashing their devices due to information posted in apple's "not responsible for" support discussion forum, don't you think that's kind of ******?

iPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode, wont restore - Error (9)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.