Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad wont charged when connected to laptop. HELP?!!!

my ipad wont charged when connected to my laptop. Anyone know how to fix that. thanks, much appreciated

Also, just noticed this now....i have it connected and its got no battery. It will shut off like it died (while connected to the laptop) and then after a few minuted it will turn on. with the battery icon saying "not charging"

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 7:17 PM

14 replies

Sep 24, 2010 1:15 AM in response to marlett.jvcb

Many USB ports, especially on older machines, don't provide enough power to charge the iPad.

In some cases, the iPad shows 'not charging', but it is actually charging, but very slowly. In most cases, it'll only charge if it's in Sleep mode (i.e. you can't use it and charge it at the same time)

You can try:

1. Leaving the iPad connected for several hours - it might get enough of a charge. It will charge quicker if you can power it off completely
2. A different USB port might provide more power

Sep 25, 2010 1:09 PM in response to Sarouk

Chances are your USB port is charging but only when the screen is off. This is e behaviour i get from our pcs.

Make a note of the battery level, plug it in and make sure the screen is off, after and hour check the battery level.

It should have charged a bit but very, VERY slowly.

Your computer port normally only delivers 500mha of power. Some modern macs deliver 1100mha. Anything less than 1000mha wont charge with the screen in.

The iPhone charge delivers 1000mha and the iPad charger delivers 2100mha.

So it not charging via the computer is normal.

My ipad wont charged when connected to laptop. HELP?!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.