Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the movie trailers from apple.com stored?

Hi there,

I have a 40GB SSD that I use only for the OS and apps and I therefore want to keep it as clean as possible. When I watch movie trailers from apple.com, it has two options - Watch and Download. Clicking on Download will open the trailer in QuickTime Player. Does anyone know if these files are actually stored on disk, permanently, or temporarily? I like to download 1080p trailers which can be quite large in size.

Thanks again for reading and any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel

Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.4), 12GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 11:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 8:43 AM

~/Library/Caches/QuickTime
7 replies

Sep 24, 2010 9:15 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Hi QuickTimeKirk,

Thanks for your reply. Are the files stored there permanently or are they deleted after a period of time? If they're deleted after a period of time (say a week or a month) then that's not really a problem. It's only a problem if they never get erased and build up over a period of time, especially because I only have a 40GB boot drive.

Sep 24, 2010 9:25 AM in response to IlMolto

The Leopard OS has a QuickTime Preference pane (Snow Leopard doesn't) that allowed a user to set the size of the cache and a method of emptying it. The cached files allow you to view the trailers again without connecting to the Internet via the QuickTime Player (most recent).
The cache will continue to grow in size until it is emptied. Do a Get Info on the downloads folder to find out how large it is. Select all of the folders inside the downloads folder and Command-delete to move them to the Trash.

Sep 24, 2010 9:39 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks so much for your help on this one. I'm so glad I asked this question because even though it's only 264MB in size at the moment, it could quite easily become GBs of unneeded data.

It's a bummer that Snow Leopard doesn't have those preferences anymore. It seems that we're slowly losing control of the OS that we use every day. I also needed to manually delete automatically downloaded updates from Software Update that wasn't installed. They really should add an option to clear all these files from the system, rather than making us do it all manually.

Anyway, thanks again for your help 🙂

Regards,

Daniel

Where are the movie trailers from apple.com stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.