Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autofill names and passwords won't clear?

Hi,

I messed up my keychain somehow and while thats back working again the autofill function in Safari is acting strange. In Preferences - Autofill - Usernames and Passwords - Edit are listed all of the websites and passwords as expected, however when I visit a known website it asks for my login and if I want to save it?

I have tried removing individual or all passwords and usernames from the list and even reset Safari to start from scratch but to no avail. The old list remains and it continually asks me for the passwords to websites contained in the list?

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 3:13 AM

1 reply

Sep 24, 2010 6:41 AM in response to Barry Shortt

HI Barry,

Quit Safari if it's open.

Open Keychain Access (Applications / Utilities). From the Keychain Access menu bar click Keychain Access / Keychain FirstAid. Enter your admin password then click Verify. If problems are reported, click Repair.

Now under Category on the left select Passwords. Delete the "Safari Forms Autofill" keychain.

Now relaunch Safari. From the Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Autofill tab.
Make sure *user names and passwords* is selected.

Navigate to a site that requires you to login with your user name and password. Click Yes when prompted.

If you have problems logging in to any one website, delete the keychain for that specific site (in Keychain Access), then relaunch Safari, navigate to that site, enter your user name and password, click Yes.

Carolyn 🙂

Autofill names and passwords won't clear?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.