Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Treadmill Running and iPad

Does anyone run on a home treadmill while using their iPad?
The vibration was too much for my old laptop. Can the iPad safely endure this kind of use?

Posted on Sep 25, 2010 8:02 AM

5 replies

Sep 25, 2010 11:19 AM in response to mfrey

Did the hard drive have problems with the hard disk? The iPad uses flash (solid state storage instead of a rotating hard disk). Thus, the iPad can't have hard disk problems. However, there are component in the iPad As in other devices) that will react to the vibrations from a treadmill and may cause problems. Isolating the iPad like foam rubber will help avoid problems.

Sep 27, 2010 11:43 AM in response to mfrey

While I don't run on my treadmill, I have been using my iPad while walking. I've been using my iPad in this fashion since the middle of August, with a workout duration of 45 minutes, 3 or 4 times per week.

My iPad is in a $20 fake leather padfolio-style case that does seem to offer some cushion and isolation from vibration. With that case, the bottom half inch fits very snugly under the book/magazine arm. The top 20% or so does hang off the top of the book/magazine shelf, which at the beginning did worry me a little.

It works great for me. I can watch my favorite movies over the course of a couple of workouts - movies that otherwise would go unwatched (not suitable for children; my spouse doesn't want to watch it).

I have a pair of DJ-style over-the-ear headphones with a ~10 foot coiled cable. I have to turn the volume up to 80% or more to overcome the noise of the treadmill.

I find that stopping in the middle of a movie is great motivation to get back on the treadmill the next day!

May 31, 2014 1:11 PM in response to lllaass

Im using my iPad Air while doing the cardio on the treadmill and I rest the device near the display. Very recently the iPad is shwoing some weird behaviour like it automatically reduces/increases the volume or there are some interruptions in the audio while watching a video. Otherwise while back home watching something, its working perefectly.

Are the vibrations from the treadmill or anything else interfering with the electronics within the iPad ?

Treadmill Running and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.