Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tracking Time on a particular Web Site

Several people in my house share the same laptop. I would like to see how long some one was on a particular web site. Can I look at that in some file on my mac? I have looked through Safari and can't find anywhere to find that information. Maybe in Terminal?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iWork must have Database componet to be Appleworks replacement!

Posted on Sep 25, 2010 8:47 PM

2 replies

Sep 26, 2010 12:45 PM in response to Bernie Campbell1

Hi Bernie,

Safari keeps track of the date and time when website are downloaded (viewed) in its history. It has no way of knowing how long you view the site but will give you the date and time of the next site you view which could give you an idea. The date of access is stored within its history plist file (~/Library/Safari/History.plist).

If you open this up and look under root>WebHistoryDates>Item#>'Last Visited Date' (item number being the most recently visited site) you will get the time of the visit in absolute seconds. Absolute seconds are the number of seconds that have passed since Midnight January 1st 2001. Random I know. Anyways if you say access a video on youtube at 300,000,000.0 and then accessed your email at 3000,000,060.0 you could determine that you viewed the youtube site for 1 min sometime in June of 2010.

There are programs which will instantly calculate the date and time for you from these numbers but for your purposes it seems you just need to subtract the 2 to get number of seconds passed.

Hope this helps.

edit: be sure you don't change anything in the plist file, nor have it open when safari is running, to prevent any corruption.

Message was edited by: taylor.henderson

Tracking Time on a particular Web Site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.