Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone wont update

iPhone 3G connected to PowerBook G4 Mac running iTunes 9.1.1
Clicking "Update" button to try and get iOS 4.1 returns a message that iTunes 9.1.1 is the current version! I don't want an iTunes update I want the iPhone update!!

Any ideas anyone?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 2:01 AM

7 replies

Sep 26, 2010 2:26 AM in response to wjosten

It's my wife's Powerbook G4 - OS 10.4.11 (ignore the spec in my profile as I am accessing the forum via my own MB Pro).

When her iPhone 3G is connected to her PB G4 the sync is fine etc etc, however iTunes is then telling me that the phone can be upgraded to OS4.1 (which is what I am trying to do) but, upon clicking the update button, it just comes back with the error message "This version of iTunes (9.1.1) is the current version." !?!?!

Sep 26, 2010 2:32 AM in response to Andy Eastwood

It's my wife's Powerbook G4 - OS 10.4.11

That's your problem. You need OS X version 10.5 or later. You're gonna have to update your wife's OS to Leopard or better. If you've got an Intel Mac you can purchase the $29 upgrade disk and go straight to SL. Otherwise you'll have to find a retail copy of Leopard(no longer sold by Apple). Look on ebay.

Sep 26, 2010 2:45 AM in response to wjosten

So even though 9.1.1 recognises there is an upgrade available AND is telling me to click the "Update" button, it will never work? Why not tell me I need to upgrade iTunes and therefore the full OS?? Grrrr frustrating...

Thanks for your help though wjosten!
ps it's not Intel, it's an older AMD chipset. I wont be buying her a new mac for the sake of OS4.1 on her phone!!!

iPhone wont update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.