Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto gets stuck on finishing last import.

I have this problem where iPhoto gets into a state where it won't quit, and won't let me import anything. If I try to empty the (iPhoto) trash it tells me I should "Wait until the import is finished". Only it isn't importing anything. So far my only solution to get it back to a usable state is to force quit it. Then it is good for another import, deleting the trash, or quiting.

Is there some other import process that I can kill to get iPhoto back into a useable state? I'm importing tiffs off disk.

Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 4:09 AM

12 replies

Sep 26, 2010 5:15 AM in response to Chris Miner

Option 1
Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2
Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Sep 26, 2010 6:05 AM in response to Chris Miner

Have you used your procedure before to fix the problem I've described?

No, but then again, I've never had the problem you described. However, I have recommended these as a procedure for a damaged database hundreds of times. By all means have a search of the forum.

Both procedures are risk free, of course. Option 1 begins with

Back up...

and, as specified in Option 2, a whole new Library is created.

What exactly is the problem that rebuilding the library is the solution for?

A damaged database file.

Regards

TD

Apr 10, 2011 2:40 PM in response to Chris Miner

I'm having the same problem, but I've hardly ever used iPhoto before (my Macbook is fairly new--bought it in December). All imports from my iPhone have been fine, but when I try to import from a canon powershot I end up with the same problem--240 photos import, then it gets stuck on "2 photos remaining". There are questions about this problem all over the web, but haven't found any reasonable answers except "rebuild the iPhoto database", which I don't feel tech-savvy enough to do. Any simple fixes?

Sep 17, 2012 5:58 AM in response to Chris Miner

I was having this same problem recently ie. iPhoto appeared to be in a loop (also 'non-responsive' in red type in the 'Force quit' dialogue under the Apple menu) at the end of supposedly importing large numbers of photos. I spent about 3 days trying to work out what was going wrong or whether there was a decent solution (read; wasted my time and generated stress). I'm posting this now in September 2012 because it might help someone, even Apple customer services, who are experiencing similar situations.

Also, word of warning, some people have suggested going into the iPhoto folder structure and moving stuff around in there etc. etc. It's not a good idea, really. You are basically playing with a very complex database and, most likely, you won't remember exactly what you did in there in order that you could undo it if something goes really wrong.

But I did dig into the iPhoto folders while that spinning icon was rotating endlessly while the iPhoto dialogue merely informs the user that it's 'finishing import'. What I discovered was that, when this is happening, iPhoto is actually still adding image files into the database, so, whatever you think, it's not in a loop at all. The problem is that when you're importing a huge amount of images at one time, like I was (approx. 50 000), that this 'finishing' process can take a long, long time...something like 20 hours for me. Well, after a couple of days I did manage to get my photos to open normally in iPhoto but it took a lot of patience.

So Apple, why couldn't you acknowledge this problem (which has been around it seems for around 3 years at least) and add a progress bar with 'remaining processing time' prediction that would appear during the 'finishing' process. This would surely also please iPhoto customers who really think that iPhoto is incapable of importing their images without crashing/looping and therefore giving up altogether/switching to other products.

Finally, now that all those images of mine are in the database iPhoto is insistant on analysing them for the face recognition function (which I don't use, don't want to use in future etc.). But it seems that you cannot turn off this function so I'm expecting that my Mac will now be eagerly processing all my images for faces for weeks or months to come, consuming processor time that I need for other things and burning unecessary electricity. (Actually it seems to really crash iPhoto at some point, if I leave iPhoto running overnight, for example).

Anyways, hope this post is useful to someone.

iphoto gets stuck on finishing last import.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.