Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV Requires ITunes Verification

When I try to rent a movie or purchase music on AppleTV, why do I get a "Verification Request" Screen? AppleTV tells me I must go to the iTunes store on computer to verify my payment information. I go to computer, but do not see any place to verify info. Can't I rent/purchase a movie directly from AppleTV without having to download to iTunes?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 9:27 PM

18 replies

Nov 26, 2010 7:14 PM in response to nuzum70

Tried to rent a movie for the first time on Apple TV. Got the verification message. Went to iTunes and verified the 3 digits on the credit card. There was also a red lettered verification message about a first time device which disappeared after I entered the required information and saved it. Went back to Apple TV and tried to rent again and it worked.

Jan 23, 2011 2:29 PM in response to nuzum70

Found my solution:
I am new to Mac, iTunes and just bought 2nd Generation Apple TV. My first use of iTunes was to rent a Movie directly from the Apple TV unit and all seemed well until I was asked for the CVV number..... What the heck is a CVV number? Where would I get a CVV number? A search for anything CVV on iTunes Help help gave "No Results Found". Hmmm. I ended up downloading the HD movie to my Mac .....from the Mac but then had to wait for whole movie to download before I could view it on Apple TV. For my setup this took over an hour for a 96 min. HD Movie.

Next Day I tried again (same results at first) and found when I went to my iTunes account that the Visa card was activated but I have never given any credit card info to iTunes. I only use the Pre paid iTunes cards! I had plenty of funds in my account. Then I noticed NONE was an option in the credit card area (Far RIGHT side) Selected that and Boom all is fine. Seems if any credit card is shown as an option then iTunes wants the data on it. Makes me wonder if it would charge my credit card before an iTunes credit... If So Bad form APPLE

Now my account does not show any credit cards. The choice is hidden under the "Edit Payment Information" button.

Credit cards showing on my account without numbers when I had iTunes credit for more than enough to pay for my Movie did not raise a flag for me.

Anyone here using both able to choose between credit card and iTunes credit?

I still don't know what CVV means and apparently neither does iTunes HELP

Jan 24, 2011 10:46 AM in response to jtbell

So the CVV code is for the credit card. I did the Google search and sure enough there it was. Thank You!
As I recall the message that came up just asked for a CVV number. Since I had plenty of iTunes credit and no history of using a credit card with iTunes I thought it had to do with my iTunes cards. The cards once entered into my account were disposed of. I was worried I would need this CVV number from them. Caused some panic! Thanks Again. Hope my experience will clear the situation for someone else. I saw over 6000 views for this problem. Perhaps Apple iTunes Help could recognize the CVV help request and explain that CVV is for VISA... Just a little nudge at the iTunes people. Good people, just want to help.

Mar 31, 2012 5:30 AM in response to nuzum70

just phoned support. when it asks you to verify payment info you may have put in the long 16 digits (like I did 😁) but what you need to do is put ONLY the last 3 digits (CVV) found on the back of your credit card. If this does not work sign out of all devices then sign back in starting with your Apple TV. go and buy something then try and buy again amnd it should say PLAY.

AppleTV Requires ITunes Verification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.