Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibooks store is only free books - all ancient classics

I can access the ibook site on my ipad, but all it displays is free books - mostly ancient classics.

How do I get books with a price? New books! I have an itunes account, as I have purchased many apps, so they must know who I am and who to send the bill to.

What is the problem here?

Message was edited by: ralfel

i-pad, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 65gb

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 6:35 AM

48 replies

Sep 27, 2010 7:16 AM in response to ralfel

ralfel wrote:

the problem may be that Apple hasn't obtained the rights to sell the +good stuff+ from the content-owners. i'm facing a similar problem over here in Germany - no English language books to be had.

my workaround is purchasing what i want from amazon.com and use the free [ kindle_|http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_ipad_mktlnd?docId=1000490441] on my iPad.

J GG

User uploaded file

Sep 27, 2010 7:49 AM in response to ralfel

ralfel wrote:
I can access the ibook site on my ipad, but all it displays is free books - mostly ancient classics.

How do I get books with a price? New books! I have an itunes account, as I have purchased many apps, so they must know who I am and who to send the bill to.

I think you must be missing something... we're both in the UK and I can see hundreds of authors and thousands of titles, both free & paid for in iBooks on my iPhone. Perhaps you've yet to sign in to your account via iBooks so it's only showing public domain content.

tt2

Sep 27, 2010 11:43 AM in response to turingtest2

Ok, I have found the problem.

I was registered in Belgium, because that is where I was at the time, and Belgium apparently has no books for sale (why?).

I changed to the UK ibook site, and things are sort of ok, because there are loads books here to buy.

However, my UK bank account is registered abroad, and so Apple, in its wisdom, says either my account or account is not valid (needs a uk address for a uk bank - and needs a uk bank for the uk site !!!). Yes my bank account is valid, Apple. Get wise, Apple, not all Brits live in Britain.

And why does Apple not tell everyone that books are not available in Belgium? There must be 50,000 people over there saying, "this ibook store is rubbish, why did I buy this useless device?"

Sep 27, 2010 12:29 PM in response to ralfel

Well, if you are currently located in the UK you ought be able to load a UK gift card onto the account as your IP address will be based here. You're dealing with a crude solution to the problem of transnational copyright control and I guess, as yet, Apple haven't managed to secure an agreement for distibuting copyright content in Belgum, whether in Flemish, French or English.

tt2

Sep 27, 2010 12:56 PM in response to turingtest2

onto the account as your IP address will be based here.

Its more complicated than that.

Bank in Germany, snail-mail address in Switzerland, current ip address in Holland, registered in Belgium, suitcase in France, working in Bulgaria.

Apple need to update their system so that it does not keep saying 'invalid' to - postcodes, towns, bank numbers, telephone numbers etc: etc:

Does it really matter that I still have a UK telephone? Why does Apple worry about this? Do they prefer that I have to make up fake numbers, to keep the system happy?

Sep 27, 2010 3:06 PM in response to ralfel

Apple probably don't care, money is money after all, but they have to be seen to care in order to make their agreements with the various copyright holders in the different territories and to keep the tax libabilities as easy to manage as possible. The key bit in the terms of service reads:
The Service is available to you only in the United Kingdom. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside this location. iTunes may use technologies to verify your compliance.

With each national store having its own variation. Restricting cross-border sales eliminates copyright issues, import & export duties and the vararies of varying rates of exchange. I agree this is particularly galling given that fact that we are supposed to have a common market in Europe but there it is.

tt2

Sep 30, 2010 3:22 AM in response to richardlw

But I'll want content with I'm in Bolivia (where I spend much of my time).
Will they block that?

I don't think so. My problem was that I registered with the Belgian iBooks site - which apparently has no copyright agreements yet. Had I just left my account in the UK, I would have been OK (but I closed my UK bank account). I am in France now, and happily browsing books on the UK store using a UK bank.

But this all seems a bit odd.

If I log onto the UK Amazon site, they do not care where my bank account is. Likewise with Lulu. So why does Apple get all exited about matching your address with a bank account from the same country and only logging on to that country's iBook site??

It is a nonsense, in this day and age.

And it means that no Belgian or Dutch iPad users can buy any books yet, unless they can find a UK bank or credit card. That is just plain mad. Who do Apple want to stop customers buying their products, and enjoying their hardware fully???

Oct 7, 2010 1:57 PM in response to ralfel

I am having the same problem, i got my mi Ipad in Paris France , but i live in Mozambique and i do not have access to the books store, only the classical free books. And because book stores here do not store much books, one of the reasons to buy the iPad was to get acces to books, and now I can't have it.

Regards

Oct 27, 2010 3:46 AM in response to richardlw

It should work. My sister lives in Bahrain and they use their US iTunes Music Store account all the time to buy/rent movies and so on. People outside the US open accounts on the US iTunes store using gift cards and fake, friend's or relative's addresses all the time.

I was located in Hong Kong for a few years and got my iPhone there so I signed up to the Hong Kong app store (there is no iTunes store at all and the iBook Store also only has the free books). It is a bit frustrating because not all apps are release worldwide (e.g. I had to get the Find My iPhone app via my girlfriend's UK account and Home Sharing). In any case, now back in the UK I still use the HK app store. If I want to gift things to my girlfriend I have to use my UK account because gifts only work in the country of the gifting account.

In short, every country has it's own, separate iTunes/App/iBook Store with it's own product catalogue. When Apple first started selling movies, it was only in the US. Now it's also in the UK and other countries perhaps, too.

Eventually iBook Stores across the world might have the same catalogue as the US one, or at least a full country specific catalogue.

ibooks store is only free books - all ancient classics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.