Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't undo Message Rules!

I have to say, this is a little ridiculous!

I had a message rule set up, so that if I received a message from someone who was not in my address book, the background colour would change to orange.

I have decided, I don't want that rule anymore and I have deleted it.

However, the formatting is still being applied to all of those messages and I can't undo it. I've tried...

-Applying Rules
-Re-adding the rule and removing the check-box
-Re-starting my system

Any other ideas, or am I going to have to delete my account and start over?

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 12:31 PM

5 replies

Sep 29, 2010 11:49 AM in response to martinneep

A rule is simply an instruction on what to do with incoming messages. Once the rule has been applied, it plays no further role. Deleting a rule means that it will no longer be applied to future messages. If you have a rule that says "Forward all messages from this sender", all those forwarded messages won't vanish because you subsequently delete the rule. If you have a rule that says "Delete all messages with 'Rolex' in the subject line", those messages will not magically reappear if you later delete the rule. Similarly, deleting a rule that says "color the message listing" will not cause already-colored messages to lose their color.

You can change the background color of message listings by selecting the messages and choosing *Format > Show Colors*. Choose white to remove highlighting.

Can't undo Message Rules!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.