Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro crash on sleep

I've got a 2008 Mac Pro (MacPro3,1) running 10.6.4 that crashes when I put it to sleep. It started a couple of weeks ago, prior to that, all worked perfectly.

The pattern is this: tell it to sleep (by front button, keyboard or menu item)
Makes usual preparing for sleep noises
Monitors go black, go onto standby
Sleep LED starts pulsing, but *the fans stay running*.
The usual click of the power relay never happens.

From this state, it won't wake up. All I can do is hold the power button in to power it off.

Normal shutdowns and reboots work fine; it's just sleep that's a problem.

I've read of other Mac Pro sleep problems, but they seem different - crash on wake, reboot on wake etc, and I'm not seeing those problems.

Any idea why this might be happening and how to fix it?

2008 Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Too much memory

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 12:15 PM

11 replies

Oct 18, 2010 1:19 PM in response to Marcus Bointon

have the same problem, been dealing with it for months now. I have been into the apple store about 5 times, with no help. Problem also is occurring after shutting down, and will not start back up. It only clicks, waits, then clicks again, similar to when it is trying to wakeup from sleep. I actually think I heard it fail the other day while sleeping, it just clicked randomly when i walked buy, and sure enough it wouldnt wake up the next time I tried to use it. Pretty poor for such an expensive machine.

I suspect power module, any suggestions?

Oct 19, 2010 5:57 AM in response to gthaines

Hi All,

Similar symptoms with my (early 2008) Mac Pro. Crashing on sleep (or switching off) is one of the several power-related problems. Also, not starting up...

See my earlier thread - is this the same for you?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2587179&tstart=30

Also, I've found a way around it at the moment, is to unplug the cable from the back of the machine overnight. It starts up fine when plugged back in the next day, and also sleeps normally. If I leave the plug in for several days, the old behaviour returns!

I agree that this is not ideal with such high ticket machines...sort it out Apple!

Oct 20, 2010 12:58 PM in response to derkel

derkel,
If you have issues with a Mac or display that goes to sleep at inappropriate times, you may have a problem with Energy Saver. Delete the following .plist files and restart:
-/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

-/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist--
(username is your name or System Administrators name)
-/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist
A restart is very important after deleting these plists. After a reboot your Mac will then generate new ones.

Oct 20, 2010 1:02 PM in response to Marcus Bointon

Marcus and others,
You also may need some basic repairs.

Try using Disk Utility to do a Disk Repair, as shown in this link, while booted up on your install disk.

You could have some directory corruption. Let us know what errors Disk Utility reports and if DU was able to repair them. Disk Utility's Disk Repair is not perfect and may not find or repair all directory issues. A stronger utility may be required to finish the job.

After that Repair Permissions.

No need to report Permissions errors....we all get them.

 DALE

Jan 17, 2011 6:11 AM in response to Marcus Bointon

I had very similar problems when I eventually upgraded my Leopard MBP 13" to Snow Leopard. I ran the update option on installing Snow Leopard on top of my Leopard installation. Then I run the combo installation to 10.6.6 and the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.7. I also upgraded my RAM to 2 x 4 GB (DDR3 1066 MHz).
After that, my MBP that had always been fairly stable, started to get daily kernel panics mainly on wake-up (as described by Marcus) but also during usage of some software that were up-to-date even before the system upgrade.

I found this discussion and I did the SMC reset suggested by Dale, and since then, my MBP has been spinning just fine. Thanks for the advice!

Mac Pro crash on sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.