Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated System Crashes Playing DVDs

My 2010 MBP (i7 17") frequently fails to correctly display DVDs and somewhat less frequently (but still annoyingly often) crashes completely when I try to play a DVD using DVD Player.

The first problem manifests when I insert a DVD and it begins displaying a garbled screen full of square artifacts such that the picture is unrecognizable.

The second, which may follow the first or may happen with no prior symptom, is that while playing a DVD (sometimes successfully for quite some time first, with no other apps running), it will go to the dark gray "you need to power off your computer" message screen. Are other folks seeing this? The garbled screen and artifacts are starting to make me wonder if these are symptoms of a defective video card. I've experienced it with numerous different DVDs, and over several OS X versions.

MacBook Pro 2010 - 17" i7, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 8GB RAM/512 SSD

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 3:07 PM

Since you are still under warranty, best thing to do is to take your Mac in to Apple for evaluation. This sounds a lot like hardware, and if so, only a repair will fix it.

You might want to have a look at this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12344010#12344010

You're not the only one with a graphics problem.

Good luck!
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2010 3:07 PM in response to JiminSF

Since you are still under warranty, best thing to do is to take your Mac in to Apple for evaluation. This sounds a lot like hardware, and if so, only a repair will fix it.

You might want to have a look at this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12344010#12344010

You're not the only one with a graphics problem.

Good luck!

Repeated System Crashes Playing DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.