Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume Limit Doesn't Work

When i set my volume to lock under settings>music>volume limit, it says its locked, but then in my music i can still set my volume to all the way up. Why isn't it working? HELP.

~iPod Touch 4th Generation: Software 4.1

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 8:36 PM

11 replies

Sep 29, 2010 2:55 AM in response to themaine

The volume _control indicator_ goes all the way up, but the maximum volume is limited to the setting you made. You can tell that the *Volume limit* is on because when you turn it up to maximum a small padlock appears at the right hand end of the colume bar. The padlock does not appear when the *Volume limit* is not being used.

Phil

Sep 30, 2010 2:49 AM in response to themaine

themaine wrote:
tthe padlock is not appearing next to the volume control, but it says its locked in the settings.

Okay - let's start again. (There's no padlock, sorry. That's on the iPod Classic! I have both. Oops!)

First of all, the Volume Limit does not affect the internal speaker, so there will be no change in the volume whether the volume limit is on or not. And that brings me to another point, there are two parts to the volume limit, the *Volume Limit* and locking the Volume Limit.

If the *Volume Limit* is set to maximum, the indicator (on the Settings/Music menu) will tell you that the *Volume Limit* is off. If you set the slider bar (on the *Settings/Music/Volume Limit* menu) to less than maximum, the indicator will tell you that the *Volume Limit* is on. If you have kids and you want to protect their hearing by using the *Volume Limit,* you can Lock the *Volume Limit* so that they cannot turn it up above your choice of maximum. You do not have to lock the limiter if you don't want to, but if you do, don't forget what number you've used. (You would be surprised how many people do and then post on the forum asking how to unlock it! Or perhaps it's the kids, trying to get round the parental restriction!)

So, plug in the headphones and start something playing with the normal volume bar set half way. Now go into the *Volume Limit* and set it to half way. You will not hear any difference. But when you return to the *Now Playing* screen, you will see that the volume bar has moved to the top. In other words, the volume limit is in use. Leave the normal (Now Playing) volume bar on maximum and return to the *Volume Limit* and turn it off, by moving the bar to maximum. Once again, you will not hear any difference, but when you return to the *Now Playing* menu, you'll notice the volume bar has moved down the scale. If you then move the *Now Playing* volume bar up, you'll notice that the maximum volume is now higher than before. This clever system will prevent you from being "shocked" by sudden changes in volume when trying to set/unset the *Volume Limit.*

Phil

Volume Limit Doesn't Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.