Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iP4 a big enough upgrade from a 3GS?

I am in UK, contract with a 3GS 16Gb runs out in June 2011. I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 4 from Apple direct (£499) and then selling/recycling the 3GS (£230). then when next iPhone comes next year, get a new contract with it.

So...
Is the iP4 a big upgrade to the 3GS in usage, I've looked on Apple site for comparison etc etc, but wanting to know from real people who've used it and the 3GS.

I like the look of the camera and HD video, I like taking pics, and always have my phone with me.

maybe other option is buy an iPad, instead, but then wouldnt get the money off the 3GS, and was hoping to hang on for the iPad 2 to see what that brings.
cheers

Mac OS X (10.6.4),  iMac 20",4Gb nano 3G, 8Gb nano 4G,Shuffle 1G, tv ,iPhone 3G S⃣

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 6:45 AM

The iPhone 4 has a much better camera than the 3GS. It also has a flash which can be used for photos and video. The display is gorgeous. Much better than the 3GS. Plus you have the front facing camera. And it's a lot faster. The battery life is great. The glass is fingerprint resistant. It doesn't get fingerprints all over it as bad as the previous iPhones. If your hands are fairly clean. But it does get fingerprints. Don't pick your nose before using it.

BTW, you realize that the iPad has no camera?
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2010 6:45 AM in response to the loc-man

The iPhone 4 has a much better camera than the 3GS. It also has a flash which can be used for photos and video. The display is gorgeous. Much better than the 3GS. Plus you have the front facing camera. And it's a lot faster. The battery life is great. The glass is fingerprint resistant. It doesn't get fingerprints all over it as bad as the previous iPhones. If your hands are fairly clean. But it does get fingerprints. Don't pick your nose before using it.

BTW, you realize that the iPad has no camera?

Sep 29, 2010 7:04 AM in response to Igor_G5

ok thanks. I normally put an Invisibleshield or shield cover on the phone, prefer not to but it will always get scratched I think when in my pocket. Do you use one with yours?

I agree the camera is better, this is what I'm thinking of, and like the sound of HD video recording, is it upto a good standard? not too shaky, decent quality and frame rate etc?

I agree it will be faster and screen better, but is this enough for me from the 3GS? I think if I had a 3G, then I would defo upgrade now, and pay full whack

I know the iPad doesnt have a camera, what I meant was I maybe wait for v2 for ipad, but should I buy an iP4 over an iPad v1, and wait?

cheers

Sep 29, 2010 8:07 AM in response to paulcb

paulcb wrote:
I agree it will be faster and screen better, but is this enough for me from the 3GS?

Only you can answer that. See the comparison here... http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

No I cant thats why I wanted some opinions 🙂

Was hoping to hear from people who had a 3GS and then went to iP4. I believe the upgrade from 3G to iP4 is significant

Sep 29, 2010 11:42 AM in response to the loc-man

The IP4 has a MUCH better screen than the 3GS. The screen is so detailed that when browsing the web you can hit the tiniest links and read the smallest print without zooming. Of course photos and graphics look way better too.

The IP4 also has a MUCH better camera and a flash.

There are other slight improvements here and there but the above are the main areas where it slays the 3GS. It also looks better...

Sep 29, 2010 12:35 PM in response to the loc-man

2G -> 3G: Yes, 3G is way faster than Edge

3G -> 3GS: Not that much in my opinion. Slighty faster (CPU + GPU), more Ram... but there's nothing you can do with a 3GS that you can't with a 3G

3GS - 4G: Definitely! The most important iPhone evolution so far in my opinion. A lot faster, incredible screen quality, flash, better camera, front facing camera, gyroscrope, 512mb Ram

3GS to 4G is a no brainer

Sep 30, 2010 1:03 PM in response to Igor_G5

bought one!

Was in Apple retail shop today, umm and ahh, Wife said "just get it" - different when they are umm and ahh about clothes!! 😉

What swung it is the flash, camera and video for me. The screen looks brighter I have to say and more refined but not as big a WOW as I though it might, but only used it for a little today, busy setting it up etc. ALso It may be a little faster in use, but again, nothing as lightening as I thouht. I did get big pauses on my 3GS with camera app, and settings, these seem to open straight away on my iP4.

What I have to do is to make sure I sell my 3GS for £300, thats how I convinced the wife, ie "it'll only cost me £200 really, and I'll get it back next June/July when iP5 comes out!" - hopefully :eek:

thanks people, any last hints? any apps, gotta have for retina display/speed etc?

Oct 15, 2010 1:12 PM in response to the loc-man

Hardware wise wise...iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are not all that different in speed...its thefeatures most buyers will consider if its worth it or not...for me just the retina display alone is enough to convince me...

For people just wanting to upgrade because of the speed i say there are basicaly almost the same...

Unless your like me who just upgrade every year...i got 2 active lines with 2 iphones...i just upgrade whenever one contract is done

Is iP4 a big enough upgrade from a 3GS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.