Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roaming Network Settings

I have a few questions. I'm not getting any wireless devices able to connect to the AEBSn#2 in my roaming network. I think I have some settings that are unclear and the documentation seems to overlook these settings or be out of date.

1. On the AEBSn#1 (that is the main and an airport extreme), I assume "allow this network to be extended" check box should be checked? Can someone confirm this? or if not, please state why and/or what the conditions are that are acceptable?

2. On the AEBS#1 should this "wireless mode" be set to "create a wireless network"?

3. On the AEBSn#2 (which is really an airport express) that is the bridge, is the wireless mode set to "extend a wireless network" or "join a wireless network" or "create a wireless network"? Which should be applied?

IMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 8:35 AM

Welcome to the discussion area!

+1. On the AEBSn#1 (that is the main and an airport extreme), I assume "allow this network to be extended" check box should be checked? Can someone confirm this? or if not, please state why and/or what the conditions are that are acceptable?+

The "allow this network to be extended" setting is only needed if you you are "extending" using wireless communications only between routers. In a "roaming" network, ethernet is used to establish communications between the routers, so you would not need to enable this setting. It won't hurt if you do, but it will also provide no benefit, so probably best to leave it unchecked.

+2. On the AEBS#1 should this "wireless mode" be set to "create a wireless network"?+

Yes, that is correct.

+3. On the AEBSn#2 (which is really an airport express) that is the bridge, is the wireless mode set to "extend a wireless network" or "join a wireless network" or "create a wireless network"? Which should be applied?+

"Create a wireless network" is the correct setting. The wireless network must have exactly the same name, security setting and password as the "main" router and the setting for Connection Sharing must be configured to "Off (Bridge Mode)". I also assume that you are connecting via ethernet from one of the LAN <-> ports on the main router.

"Extend a wireless network" +is only used if the device is communicating with the main router using wireless only+. You are connecting devices using ethernet, so you would not use this setting.

"Join" +is again used with wireless communications only+, not using ethernet. When the Express is configured to "join", it does not provide any additional wireless coverage, but can be used for AirTunes or to connect a printer.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2010 8:35 AM in response to GstarNYC

Welcome to the discussion area!

+1. On the AEBSn#1 (that is the main and an airport extreme), I assume "allow this network to be extended" check box should be checked? Can someone confirm this? or if not, please state why and/or what the conditions are that are acceptable?+

The "allow this network to be extended" setting is only needed if you you are "extending" using wireless communications only between routers. In a "roaming" network, ethernet is used to establish communications between the routers, so you would not need to enable this setting. It won't hurt if you do, but it will also provide no benefit, so probably best to leave it unchecked.

+2. On the AEBS#1 should this "wireless mode" be set to "create a wireless network"?+

Yes, that is correct.

+3. On the AEBSn#2 (which is really an airport express) that is the bridge, is the wireless mode set to "extend a wireless network" or "join a wireless network" or "create a wireless network"? Which should be applied?+

"Create a wireless network" is the correct setting. The wireless network must have exactly the same name, security setting and password as the "main" router and the setting for Connection Sharing must be configured to "Off (Bridge Mode)". I also assume that you are connecting via ethernet from one of the LAN <-> ports on the main router.

"Extend a wireless network" +is only used if the device is communicating with the main router using wireless only+. You are connecting devices using ethernet, so you would not use this setting.

"Join" +is again used with wireless communications only+, not using ethernet. When the Express is configured to "join", it does not provide any additional wireless coverage, but can be used for AirTunes or to connect a printer.

Roaming Network Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.