Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual 27" display brightness control

I have a 27" iMac and a 27" cinema display. I love it.

I don't like automatic brightness control and I adjust the brightness several times each day. I would like to be able to adjust both screens at the same time. The brightness controls on the keyboard only control the iMac's brightness and not the 2nd display. Is there a way to adjust the brightness on both monitors at the same time?

27" iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 27" iMac + 27" cinema display

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 10:42 AM

19 replies

Oct 3, 2010 10:01 PM in response to gnagy

I have the same set up, still looking for the answer for that same deal. I want to be able to lower the brightness of both the screens together. As well I want to be able to turn one off and leave the other on...

I love apple but I feel like they did not plan to hard on its users looking at the 27" Imac and pairing it with a 27" Cinema Display...

Mar 20, 2011 12:39 AM in response to gnagy

I'm running a 27" iMac with a 24" Cinema display, been looking for a way to do this same thing, and this is what I just found:

http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

It's a third-party preference panel that can put both brightness settings under the same button pair (I selected the blank F5 and F6 buttons). I'm pretty sure it works by "fading in" another color on top of the displayed image, but it's worked pretty well for me. The developer's page warns that it doesn't play well with color-calibration apps.

Also, through this quest, I found an app called "MulitScape" that splits hyper-wide wallpapers across multiple displays.

Jun 13, 2014 6:26 PM in response to dancamera

I have two TB monitors, and I love them both. But, I adjust the brightness on my screens several times a day. Presently, I'm able to adjust the primary monitor's brightness using the brightness buttons on the keyboard. But I have to adjust the 2nd monitor's brightness using System Preferences and the mouse. It's a bit inconvenient for me.

If anyone knows of a way to have Mac OS adjust both monitors' brightness with the buttons on the keyboard, it would be very helpful to me!

Dual 27" display brightness control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.