Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SHARP problems

Hello.
I am trying to print from a SHARP AR-M351N printer but I can't and I don't understand why.
I have:

- downloaded the latest drivers from the manifacturer's website
- installed the drivers
- added the LPD printer from "Print&Fax" menu in System Preferences using IP address, PPD is automatically recognized and seems to work properly (I can see supply levels, printer status, ...)

but, when printing, print job is sent to print queue, processed, deleted and then...nothing.
I see no documents printed (and no errors) on my printer.

What's wrong?
Thanks for your help.

MacBook unibanzi, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 3:00 AM

6 replies

Sep 30, 2010 3:22 AM in response to novantadue

Reading your post I would guess that there are two possible causes for the job not printing.

1. The Sharp does not support Postscript (or it may be an option that is not installed) and this is what you have selected in the Print Using menu

or

2. If the Sharp does support Postscript then the device may have some sort of authentication system enabled and configured to trash print jobs with unknown ID's (passwords).

For item 1, you can open Print & Fax, select the Sharp in the list and then open Options & Supplies. If you then select the Driver tab, this will show what driver is currently being used. If it does show Generic Postscript then change it to Generic PCL Laser Printer and OK this. Now try printing with this driver.

If the job still fails to print with the Generic PCL Laser driver then it is possibly #2 stopping this. You may have to look at finding an alternate driver package to support this function. Matt Broughton who is a regular contributor to this forum has been very helpful in providing modified drivers that support the job accounting function for office printers. You may have to call upon his services for your setup...

Sep 30, 2010 4:12 AM in response to PAHU

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1. I don't think it does not support Postscript, the package I have downloaded contains PPD files which are specific for that printer. I don't know if Postcript option is installed, how can I understand it?

2. I had checked for that and it did not seem to be so, all Windows machines which are in the same company can print with no particular difficulties or configurations.

I'll try to print with a generic driver and see what happens.

Do you have any idea of how queue names work when using LPD?

Sep 30, 2010 4:25 AM in response to novantadue

novantadue wrote:
1. I don't think it does not support Postscript, the package I have downloaded contains PPD files which are specific for that printer. I don't know if Postcript option is installed, how can I understand it?

Many office printers have an internal web page that shows you settings about the device. If you type the IP address of the Sharp into your web browser you will probably be able to see what options are installed. Hopefully Postscript is shown but having the PPD on a web site does not guarantee that the device is sold with Postscript as a standard option...

2. I had checked for that and it did not seem to be so, all Windows machines which are in the same company can print with no particular difficulties or configurations.

Since they are working then have a look at a Windows test print. It will show what driver is being used and what port (queue) they are also using.

I'll try to print with a generic driver and see what happens.

Great. I have a feeling this may work.

Do you have any idea of how queue names work when using LPD?

It all depends on the device. Some printers require a specific queue name. Others don't seem to care what you enter or even require a queue name. For example, our Canon's that use the optional Fiery controller require an LPD queue name of print or hold and it must be entered in lower case text. But the other Canon's that are using the internal printer board don't require a queue name.

Also it is worth noting that many printers support RAW Port 9100. This is the default port used by Windows (called Standard TCP/IP Printing) and on the Mac it is called HP Jetdirect-Socket. So you also have the option on the Mac to connect via Port 9100, which is better than LPD.

Sep 30, 2010 6:03 AM in response to PAHU

I have made a small test.
On a Microsoft Windows XP virtual machine, I have installed this same printer with 2 different configurations:

- Printer A: PCL6
- Printer B: PPD

PCL6 printer works smoothly, PPD has the same behaviour I found when trying to print out from Mac OS X.
I think you were right, this printer has no support for Postscript.

I have then tried to configure the Generic PCL driver, I see the job arrives to the printer but an error appear on the LCD screen: something like "Please insert 7 1/4 * 10 1/2 paper".
What format is it?
How can I set it as default for that printer?

Generic PCL doesn't recognize the tray structure (3 trays), it's not a big problem but is there any way to configure them?

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2010 3:44 PM in response to novantadue

The Generic PCL driver has no options, except for the enabling of duplex. But at least it is available and gives you the ability to print to a PCL device which was not available several years ago with OS X.

As for the paper message, it does seem to be an unusual size. It is smaller than Letter (which is 8.5" x 11") and I could not find a reference to this size with a quick search. So I suggest that with the application you are printing from open the File menu to see if you have a Page Setup menu. I would expect that the document you have is a custom size and via Page Setup you will be able to change it.

And regarding the additional trays, you will not be able to modify the Generic PCL driver to support these. The driver has been written for a desktop laser which typically only has one tray. If you do want to print to these additional trays you may need to look at using an alternate driver, like [pxlmono|http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/mac osx/pxlmono]. I'm not entirely sure if you have the ability to add additional trays to the pxlmono driver but you certainly don't with the Generic PCL so it is worth testing.

Oct 5, 2010 6:47 AM in response to PAHU

I had already checked the application I was printing from, sizes and format were ok but printer didn't work.
I have tried on another and more modern SHARP printer and it worked.
I have then contacted the SHARP technician, that printer does not mount any PostScript module (you have to pay for that...) and, for that reason, it cannot print from any PostScript-defined printer but, as he told me, it should support PPD (this makes no sense for me, doesn't PPD contain PostScript code to manage print jobs?).

Anyway, I have to thank you for your support, you've really helped me a lot understanding a problem, the best and quickest solutions seems to be enabling the PostScript module, I am waiting a quote for that.

With my best regards.

SHARP problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.