Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 10 won't connect to Apple TV with Airplay

JUst hooked up my new APTV2. In itunes there is the little airplay symbol in the bottom right and when i click on it it shows Apple TV as an option, but when I click on it it comes up with a box saying "connecting to Apple tv".

But nothing ever happens, it sits there for a few minutes and then goes away. Same happens if i select multiple speakers and try to tick the check box for apple tv.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 3:54 PM

79 replies

Oct 1, 2010 11:03 AM in response to PunkmastaT

Well, just after posting I tried something out that worked, though not ideal:

Do you have your ATV2 connected to your router via ethernet cable? If so, unplug it and connect ATV2 to your wifi network, then try it out. Worked for me! Not thrilled, would rather have the ethernet connected for reliability reasons, if someone figures out how to do it with ATV2 connected to the router via ethernet would love to hear!

Hope this helps, for now.

Oct 3, 2010 10:15 AM in response to whistlerdan

Same problem here. ATV shows up in iTunes list of speakers. Selecting it shows the connecting dialog box. Never connects. It just times out. I first tried this from the remote app on my iPhone before attempting from the desktop. I can select and use my Airport Express just fine.

Windows 7-64 bit
iTunes 10.0.1.22
Apple TV 2nd Generation-firmware 4.0
Both desktop and ATV are hardwired to Ethernet.

However it does work fine from my MacBook Pro

MBP Snow Leopard-Wifi 802.11N
iTunes 10.0.1 (22)
Apple TV 2nd Generation-firmware 4.0-Hardwired Ethernet

Oct 4, 2010 2:10 PM in response to whistlerdan

I fixed the same AirPlay/AirTunes problem with a ruleset change on my windows software firewall with simply allowing the following UDP Port INCOMING on the computer with itunes running:

UDP 6002

Reason: After selecting the Apple TV as Speaker is saw such an incoming paket rate on wireshark so i decided to open this port and et voila 🙂

52 22:47:33.690951 192.168.0.128 192.168.0.3 UDP Source port: 61727 Destination port: 6002

(.128 Source = Apple TV | .3 Destination = iTunes 10 Windows PC)

Cheers

Oct 5, 2010 9:46 AM in response to Double Phister

So now that you guys have gotten it to work, what exactly happens when you click on the Apple TV in the drop-down box at the bottom of iTunes?

I called apple support about this and they actually told me that it wasnt supposed to do anything. Because I can access my itunes files just fine using the AppleTV menu and home sharing there was no need for anything to happen.

So I questioned why have the option there in the drop-down box and they guy had no answer. It seems to be there for a reason.....

Oct 23, 2010 6:34 AM in response to whistlerdan

I am also having the same problem. I have some computers on the wired part of my network, and others on wireless. The appletv2 shows in itunes on ALL (both wired and wireless) computers that there exists an AppleTv speaker, but only the computers on the same "side" of the network (wired, or wireless) can actually connect and use the appletv as an airplay device. I have Bell Fibe25 and they provide 2 devices to achieve wireless connectivity, the main VDSL unit that has 4 lan ports on the back, and a basic Cisco WAP610N that connects into one of the lan ports on the VDSL unit for the wireless part.

My firewall is turned off as well.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening? My MacPro does not have wireless, and it would not be practical to connect my AppleTV2 to Ethernet cable.

Thanks in advance,

S

Oct 23, 2010 8:24 AM in response to whistlerdan

I finally was able to solve my problem by following the instructions below (pulled from another thread regarding airtunes) to disable IP6 settings in the network. When I did this, I was able to connect to everything just fine.
So people; when you have problems with iTunes not connecting to your Airtunes maybe you can try the following:
1. Open System Preferences
2. Open Network pane
3. Select Airport in the left list
4. Click the Advanced button
5. Go to the TCP/IP tab
6. Set the "Configure IPv6" field to Off.
7. Click "OK"
8. Click "Apply"
9. Let iTunes connect to you're Airtunes speakers

Itunes 10 won't connect to Apple TV with Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.