6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2010 7:49 AM by celliott147
Wes Plate Level 4 (2,845 points)
We currently have one iPhone 4 and one iPhone 3GS and purchased both in the US where we have service through AT&T. The phones are obviously locked to AT&T's network.

I would like to purchase an iPhone 4 in Canada where I understand they are or can be purchased unlocked.

The goal is that the user of the locked iPhone 4 will replace it with the unlocked iPhone 4 and the user of the 3GS will replace it with the existing locked iPhone 4.

The reason I want an unlocked phone is so I can purchase inexpensive SIMs to use while visiting Europe. I know this is possible because a Canadian friend whom I was with in Amsterdam did it.

My thinking is that all I need to do is buy the new phone in Canada and then move the SIM card from the old iPhone 4 to the new one and then move the SIM card from the 3GS to the old iPhone 4.

Will this work? Or do I need to visit my local AT&T store and have them move our accounts around on the phones?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Disclaimer: I benefit financially from any purchase you make from Automatic Duck
  • KC7GNM Level 4 (2,805 points)
    No it will not work because the ip4 has a microsim and the 3G or 3GS has the larger sim. The 3GS sim will not fit in the ip4
  • Malcolm Rayfield Level 7 (28,075 points)
    <http://www.cutmysim.com/>
  • Wes Plate Level 4 (2,845 points)
    Ok, so I can cut the 3GS SIM to fit into the 4, thanks. Then if for some reason it doesn't work I just take the phones to the AT&T store and they'll move the account?

Moving the SIMs between the old and new iPhone 4s shouldn't be a problem?
  • Cristofer Cruz Level 3 (885 points)
    There's no need to buy a SIM cutting tool. The swap from the iPhone 4 locked to iPhone 4 unlocked won't be an issue. Once you've freed up the locked iPhone 4, just go into the AT&T store and have them activate it on the line currently on the 3GS; they'll put a new SIM in it for free.
  • minho59 Level 1 (0 points)
    Well I didn't want to start a new thread and this was the closest thread I could find to post my question.

I am looking to buy a used iPhone 4 on craigslist to switch from my 3GS. Since this will not require me to goto AT&T to renew my contract, how would I go about getting a micro SIM if the seller does not provide the one that came with the phone originally? Could I just goto AT&T, tell them I bought an the phone out of contract and would like a new micro SIM? Would they charge me? Thanks in advance for your assistance!
  • celliott147 Level 4 (1,300 points)
    1. Thank you for searching.
    2. You cannot use the old SIM, you must get a new one.
    3. You don't have to upgrade or extend to change phones, only if you want to get the subsidized price on a new phone.

Just go in and ask for the new SIM...they shouldn't charge you as long as it is a corporate store and you are still under contract...