Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIM swapping between a 3GS and a locked and unlocked iPhone 4

We currently have one iPhone 4 and one iPhone 3GS and purchased both in the US where we have service through AT&T. The phones are obviously locked to AT&T's network.

I would like to purchase an iPhone 4 in Canada where I understand they are or can be purchased unlocked.

The goal is that the user of the locked iPhone 4 will replace it with the unlocked iPhone 4 and the user of the 3GS will replace it with the existing locked iPhone 4.

The reason I want an unlocked phone is so I can purchase inexpensive SIMs to use while visiting Europe. I know this is possible because a Canadian friend whom I was with in Amsterdam did it.

My thinking is that all I need to do is buy the new phone in Canada and then move the SIM card from the old iPhone 4 to the new one and then move the SIM card from the 3GS to the old iPhone 4.

Will this work? Or do I need to visit my local AT&T store and have them move our accounts around on the phones?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Disclaimer: I benefit financially from any purchase you make from Automatic Duck

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 11:13 PM

6 replies

Dec 14, 2010 6:31 AM in response to Wes Plate

Well I didn't want to start a new thread and this was the closest thread I could find to post my question.

I am looking to buy a used iPhone 4 on craigslist to switch from my 3GS. Since this will not require me to goto AT&T to renew my contract, how would I go about getting a micro SIM if the seller does not provide the one that came with the phone originally? Could I just goto AT&T, tell them I bought an the phone out of contract and would like a new micro SIM? Would they charge me? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

SIM swapping between a 3GS and a locked and unlocked iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.