Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound when TV is off

Just set up my new Apple TV. I have it connected to my TV by HDMI and audio system thru optical.

Works great except for one very annoying feature. When the TV is turned off or the HDMI is unplugged it stops playing!

I was hoping to use it to stream music as well as movies. Obviously I don't want the TV on in this case.

The sound is definitely coming thru the audio system. The Apple TV just refuses to send any audio when the TV is off.

I have tried controlling it with the ipod remote app and it appears to be playing but there is no sound.

Has anyone had any success getting the AppleTV to play when the TV is off?

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 7:27 PM

28 replies

Oct 2, 2010 7:44 AM in response to Andrew Zahra

I have my atv2 hooked to a hdmi switcher I wonder if its fooling the atv2 , has anyone confirmed this problem ? atv2 to tv hdmi in and optical straight to the receiver. What brand tv are you using ? I know my samsung when turning on or off can trigger a off type signal to my switcher... I have seen that , maybe the atv2 is seeing that trigger and it plays dead.... there seems to be several bugs in the atv2.

I would try picking up a cheap hdmi switcher and feed the atv2 thru it and see what happens...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?cid=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&pid=5557&seq=1&format=2

Jan 30, 2011 1:25 AM in response to tehcypress

Running ATV2 via HDMI to my receiver then via HDMI to my TV. On ATV, I set Dolby Digital Out (under Audio & Video) to On. Previously it was set to Auto and didn't play with the TV off. After setting it to On, it is playing the audio only through the stereo when the TV is turned off. So far I have only tested with streaming movies from my Mac Mini server and Netflix. On my system, turning off the TV seems to pause playback, but pressing Play/Pause resumes playback.

I hope this helps!

Jan 30, 2011 4:20 AM in response to Andrew Zahra

You do not need the optical cable at all.. Connect the appleTv to the receiver though HDMI and then connect the receiver to the TV via HDMI.

When you are attempting to play through the audio system are you making sure you are switching the input to the optical instead of the HDMI?

You might be getting sound to the audio system when only when the TV is on because some HDMI connection support bi-directional connection... TV would need to be on for that to happen.. It should work through the optical cable.. My guess is that you are forgetting to change input when you are attempting to do so.

No Sound when TV is off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.