7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2010 12:16 PM by Guy Hatton
Foxboy71 Level 4 Level 4 (2,360 points)
Hi,

I am trying to disable the (external Jogwheel) transport control during recording, but can't find an option to do so.

I have a Tascam Fireone, which features a nice Jogwheel with transport control. Nice for "on the road" recording sessions. The only setback is: *whenever i touch the Jogwheel during a record process*, it will *stop recording* and discard the recorded file. aargh ! This is most annoying, so i ended up with kicking out my transport control during critical recordings, but it is more a workaround than a solution.
So, does anyone know how to prevent Logic from stopping the recording by touching a transport controll Jogwheel? Is there a possibility to record in a kind of "safe mode" where only a real "stop" command will stop the recording?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Fox

Edit: Additional Info: The Tascam Fireone is treated like a Mackie Control from Logic's point ov view

MacBook 2.0 GHz 2GB, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 2GB, Logic Studio 9.1.1, Tascam Fireone, Roland RD700SX
  • Eriksimon Level 6 Level 6 (11,780 points)
    Any idea what sort of message is actually being sent by the jogwheel? I mean, is it supposed to this? That it stops recording is one thing, but that it also discards the recorded file is odd, as this is usually a seperate action. I wonder if the message could be filtered out by a transformer in the environment?
  • Foxboy71 Level 4 Level 4 (2,360 points)
    tnx for reply,

sorry, I said something a little wrong: The file is not discarded, but the recording is being stopped only. I can, however, not influence the Jogwheel via the Environment, because this is no MIDI value, but goes via the "Control" channel. I'll get no Input in the monitor.

My best workaround so far is to check the box "ignore when in background" and put Logic in the background when recording critical takes.

Fox
    OK, so can't you "do" something in the Controller Assignments window? Either reassign the Jogwheel message, or assign a different message to "Stop"?
    Hi,

thanks, have tried this, however, the only workaround is to assign the Jogwheel to a different function (which isn't really what i wanted to end up with).
    Do you have experience with other control surfaces with transport control? Does a Jogwheel / Shuttlewheel movement interrupt the recording there, too? It would be nice if i could "block" it until the recording is finished.

Cheers,

Fox
    Why not just 'not touch the jogwheel' while you're recording?
    LOL

Solved!

Earnest: Do you know the phenomenon if you must click a ball pen? If there's anything there you can play with, it will be touched? That's the same with the Jogwheel in the Fireone. However, with the little interface, the wheel doesn't sit in the middle of a nice, huge, serene control surface, but lurks around on this external interface, blinking with it's LED's and saying "touch me, touch me - it's fun to touch me". Even if i don't touch it myself: I had recorded speeches going 45+ minutes. After 30 minutes i realized someone sitting next to me has touched the wheel "accidentally" some minutes ago. panic !

So, obviously, the barbed wire method will be a way to go. But in the meantime, i will put logic in background which disables the transport controls anyway.

Thank you, nevertheless.

Fox
  • Guy Hatton Level 4 Level 4 (1,915 points)
    Get a good old-fashioned wooden school ruler. The moment anybody looks like they might be thinking of touching the jogwheel, give them a sharp rap on the knuckles. That'll soon train them not to