Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Disable "F" Keys?

Hi there,

Currently, my F8 key opens iTunes.. I want to disable this because some of my other software (Reason 5) requires this key to open certain windows etc.. How can I make it so that the "F" Key shortcuts for reason override those of the Mac OS?

And equally, how would one go about dimming or brightening the screen once this done?

Many thanks,

MBP i7 15" hi res anti glare 500GB 7200, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 4:03 AM

System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard and check 'Use all F1, F2 keys etc. as standard function keys'. You can then access the special functions such as F8 for iTunes and the brightness and volume by holding the Fn key while pressing the F key.
2 replies

Oct 22, 2010 11:47 AM in response to Requiembeats

Related question: I am running an application that requires the use of the F-keys separately from the OS shortcuts. Right now my settings are set-up so that F8 toggles my keyboard backlight on and off and Fn F8 goes to Spaces. In System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard toggling the "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" only reverses the use of the Fn key (F8 is Spaces and Fn F8 is keyboard backlight) but doesn't let the application use the keys for its defined uses. I have also unsuccessfully tried to create a custom application shortcut in the Keyboard Shortcuts tab (I guess the application will not accept this).

Is there anything I haven't tried yet, short of third party software or manually disabling each f-key one-by-one?

Thanks.

How to Disable "F" Keys?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.