Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 bars for WIFI but Internet won't load

I have a strong WiFi signal but when I go to load something connected to the internet it won't load or it times out. Help?!

iPod Touch 32gb 4th generation, Windows XP

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 9:45 AM

25 replies

Oct 2, 2010 4:55 PM in response to musicgirl11

When you appear connected to your network, try this:

Tap Settings > WiFi and then the blue ">" next to the network with the checkmark next to it.

Does your IP address start with 169.x? If it does, then your router is not issuing you an IP address. However, if your IP address is the expected 192.168.x.x then scroll down and see if the subnet net mask is filled out correctly, the router IP is showing, and the DNS IP is also filled out. If the later is true, tap Renew Lease (you may have to do this several times) and try again.

Causes of the 169.x address can be caused by several things. First, reboot your router (just unplug the power cord). Try WiFi again. If you still have problems, WEP encryption and/or old router firmware become the most likely culprits.

Oct 2, 2010 5:37 PM in response to luvlabs

luvlabs

What if the problem is only happening with the iTouch gen4. I'm troubleshooting one my mother picked up tonight and my 3rd generation one as well as my sisters is working fine. The only issue is the newest one. Our wireless router is only a few months old and there really hasn't been any problem with it before.

The 4th gen one can get weather updates and stuff fine but is unable to access anything on safari or connect to the app store. My 3rd generation one has a 169.xxx.x.xx IP and can connect to anything online and do everything as per normal.

Is this possibly an issue that will result in a firmware fix? or will an exchange of the iPod be necessary?

Thanks for any help

Oct 6, 2010 5:05 PM in response to Terce

Terce,

If you actually have an iPod with an IP address of 169.x, I would be very surprised if it connected to anything. The 169.x address is an internally generated IP and when you see it, you normally do not have a complete subnet mask, router IP address or a DNS address. The entire 169 range of addresses are reserved for internal networks without internet access - at least I think that is how Apple interprets it.

When you tap the blue > after your network name, what do you get for the device IP address, subnet mask, router IP address, and DNS addresses?

Oct 6, 2010 5:56 PM in response to musicgirl11

Hello,

I have been having a problem getting on safari,apps, and E-mail.

When I try to access my Gmail it says "CANNOT GET MAIL The connection to the server "imap.gmail.com" failed"

When I try to get on numerous apps it just shows "loading" and stays like that.

When I try to get on Safari it says "CANNOT OPEN PAGE Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding".

I have had my Ipod Touch for a couple months And this issue has just started a day or so ago. My WIFI and everything is fine and i have 2-3 bars. 1-2 a day I can access my safari,apps, or E-mail for a few minutes but then it goes back to the problem.

Thanks guys 🙂

Oct 7, 2010 6:25 AM in response to Bdawg52

Your post should have been posted as "new". Normally we like to see results or helpful hints posted after the OP's question. That being said, welcome to the discussion group!

So, you to need to tap Settings > WiFi > your network name > and the blue ">" after the network name you are connected to. If you see a 169.x address, then your router did not issue an IP address to your device and the 169.x number is internally generated by the touch.

Try the following:

1. Try "Renew Lease" - scroll down on that screen. If that doesn't work...
2. What type of encryption are you using on your network? If WEP, use the hex key WEP master key as your password. Better still, change your encryption to WPA2-psk.
3. Change your DNS service (on your router control screens) to OpenDNS.

Oct 9, 2010 3:50 AM in response to musicgirl11

I had the exact same problem when i first got my 4th Gen: Connected to wifi but wouldn't load any pages or the app store. I did what other people suggested ie turning off your router and turning it back on. IT WORKS well for me that is. I've been using wifi now for countless many hours without it disconnecting so i think that would have been a permanent fix for me. Hope that helps all you guys out there with this problem.

Oct 12, 2010 1:19 PM in response to luvlabs

Ok, I am having this problem on the new ipod touch. I thought it might be the unit itself, so I returned it to the store, but the one I got in exchange is still doing this. I have 2 of the older versions of the ipod touch, and can still get online with both of those and have no problems at all with either of them. I've tried all of the rebooting of the router, renewing the lease, forgetting the network, restoring the ipod back to its original version, and nothing works. Any other suggestions.

Jan 11, 2011 8:09 AM in response to musicgirl11

I had the same problem but I went to a friend whom is rather smart with these products and he helped me fix it. I don't know how long it will stay fixed but as long as its working. You go to settings, then click general, then click reset then click reset network settings. you will NOT lose anything on your ipod. it will restart your ipod, and when it does go to settings click wifi and connect to your internet and it should work.

Sep 18, 2011 9:59 PM in response to luvlabs

Thanks for the detailed instruction to the OP. I'm having similar difficulty and used your instructions. I'm getting a 192.xx so I guess my wireless has sent the proper information to my iPod. I'm seeing network bars but, whenever I'm at home, the iPod won't connect to my network. I've used re-set, renew lease and even restarted my wireless network. The iPod finds my network okay and shows connection but I can't get Safari or Apps to launch. Any other suggestions?

3 bars for WIFI but Internet won't load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.