Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24 LED Cinema - Something "peeling" away from behind the glass.

This morning, I turned on my 24” LED Cinema Display to see what looks like a 1/16 or 1/8 inch black strip that has peeled away from the inside of the bezel, right along the edge where the bezel meets the display. Light from the display is visible to the right of this strip when viewed from the left. When viewed straight on, the black area dips/bows along the edge, obstructing about a two-inch segment along the edge (all this starts about two inches down from the upper right corner of the LED).

The LED does not appear to be distorted, but is obscured by whatever has just started to peel away from the inside of the glass. I double-checked this by moving windows with sharp edges over the area, and you can see the text, etc. peeking through on the other side of this thin strip, undistorted.

I have scheduled to take it in. But of course it’s out of warranty. Given that it’s only about 15 months old, I’m curious if anyone else has seen this. It's a first generation LED display, but hopefully this is just an isolated anomaly that can be easily repaired.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 1:18 PM

3 replies

Oct 6, 2010 2:42 PM in response to Malcolm Rayfield

Thanks but, there's no real practical DIY way for this (from what I've read), without getting dust and other particles trapped behind the glass.

Nobody else has seen this happen to their display? Perhaps it's just an anomaly, but I have to confess that I'm getting a bit weary having had two previous CPU motherboards replaced (first on my G5, then my Mac pro), followed by my ipod touch being defective.

24 LED Cinema - Something "peeling" away from behind the glass.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.