Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo and MSN Messenger in iChat

Hi

I want to use iChat for Yahoo and MSN Messenger. I want to use it mainly for the Video chat feature in iChat.

thanks

PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 3, 2010 9:19 AM

25 replies

Oct 3, 2010 12:48 PM in response to rickytitus

Hi,

Although the Link Defcom has provided does provide a way to get MSN and/or Yahoo Buddies in to iChat you cannot Video that way. (Only Text Chatting).

Most likely you will find item 12 (Tokbox) (Scroll down) in this section the most helpful.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

User uploaded file

8:48 PM Sunday; October 3, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Oct 4, 2010 1:20 PM in response to Mackunal

Hi Mackunal,

Gmail Accounts (@googlemail.com and @gmail.com) can be used in iChat.

Video Chatting (or Audio Only) is only iChat to iChat though.

Google obviously do the Web Mail page chat which includes Video if you have an Intel and download the Plug-in.
There is also a PC app also called Googletalk.
Both these use a modified form to the Jingle Library.
Jingle is the Protocol Jabber apps uses to do Audio and Video Connections.
Google's version is not that compatible with other Jabber apps that have Jingle ( More here)
Jingles and the Process iChat uses (SIP) are also not compatible.

User uploaded file

9:20 PM Monday; October 4, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Oct 4, 2010 1:30 PM in response to rickytitus

Hi,

If you can get the Yahoo IM app for Mac to work (It is still in Beta and has been for Years) then it is the only direct way.

Tokbox is a Web Browser Based Chat site that allows you to use your Camera. (It uses the Flash Plug-in)
It has the advantage in that you can link in your existing Buddy Lists.

Mebeam is a less formal site that does similar (Lees the Buddy List Linking)

The MSN App will only Video Chat if you are linked to the correct Microsoft Server (I forget the name exactly)

ProteusX and Adium are both essentially text Based Mac Apps that can join multiple IM Services.
I believe Adium now uses a link to MeBeam to do Video Chats (I have not tested this)

See my Comments to Mackural about what is possible with GoogleTalk names.

User uploaded file

9:29 PM Monday; October 4, 2010

Dec 21, 2010 2:46 PM in response to Ryan JW

Hi all,

If anyone else id reading this both of us could do with some further info on how to get this Jabber/MSN Buddy Authorisation to work.

I seem to have been lucky in the past rather than knowledgeable in this matter.

I personally would like to move an Authorised Buddy from on Jabber List to my Google Buddy List.
Adding them as a different Address Card does not seem to do it.
Deleting them and Re-adding them in this process does not seem to generate a Request to be sent.

iChat has no option to Resend a Request.
(My Buddy went Off line before trying Psi and it's Re-request)

User uploaded file

10:46 PM Tuesday; December 21, 2010

Feb 8, 2011 9:46 AM in response to rickytitus

I've written a Java program that acts as a Jabber server (Jabber iChat supports) and then adapts the requests and sends them to MSN, so it is as if you are using MSN. It is not very fully featured, but drop me a message if you want to try it.

Dear Mr Jobs - why am I spending my spare time developing MSN support for iChat? It's been 5 years. Where is it?

Alex

Yahoo and MSN Messenger in iChat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.