Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Port forwarding for Filemaker network

I want to set up my computer as a host for Filemaker Pro networking. I have 2 other remote computer locations I want to share my FM database file. I am about to purchase a new AEBS for my router.

Instructions from FM forum was to forward port 5003 on my router & use no-ip.com (to track my dynamic IP address) to get a specific domain name for the remote computers to find when they select Open Remote.

Reading some of these posts sounds like the AEBS makes this easier. Is the port mapping same as port forwarding? Does the reserve IP address capability negate the need for the no-ip.com service?
Would appreciate the step-by-step process I need to do this.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 3, 2010 12:27 PM

7 replies

Oct 3, 2010 12:49 PM in response to Bob R

Is the port mapping same as port forwarding?

Yes, both terms are used interchangeably and mean the same thing.

Does the reserve IP address capability negate the need for the no-ip.com service?

No. Reserving an IP address is a means to instruct the DHCP service on the router to "save" a specific Private IP address for a device on the local network. No-IP.com is a service that basically tracks the dynamic Public IP address of your modem or router and provides you with a "static" URL address to access it from the Internet. A similar service to No-IP.com would be DynDNS.

Accessing a server on the local network from a remote client would require that the client knows the Public IP address and port(s) required to access that server. Servers, like yours that are behind a firewall, must either use port mapping (port forwarding) or be configured to be in a DMZ which would completely expose them to the Internet. Port mapping reduces that risk to only allow predefined ports to be open to the Internet.

Since most consumers have Internet service with comes with a dynamic (changing) Public IP address, just knowing what it is at any given time won't help in the long run. This is where services, like No-IP come in. Typically they will give you a client utility that you would run on your computer. This utility will provide them with an update every time your ISP changes your Public IP address ... or you may be required to do this manually. They will also provide you with a URL to use instead of using the Public IP address.

To setup port mapping on an 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn), either connect to the AEBSn's wireless network or temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to one of the LAN port of the AEBSn, and then use the AirPort Utility, in Manual Setup, to make these settings:

1. Reserve a DHCP-provided Private IP address for the Filemaker Pro server.
Internet > DHCP tab
o On the DHCP tab, click the "+" (Add) button to enter DHCP Reservations.
o Description: <enter the desired description of the host device>
o Reserve address by: MAC Address
o Click Continue.
o MAC Address: <enter the MAC hardware address of the host computer's Ethernet or wireless depending on how it accesses the network>
o IPv4 Address: <enter the desired Private IP address you want to assign to the host>
o Click Done.

2. Setup Port Mapping on the AEBSn.
Advanced > Port Mapping tab
o Click the "+" (Add) button
o Service: <choose the appropriate service from the Service pop-up menu or leave blank>
o Public UDP Port(s): <enter the appropriate UDP port values>
o Public TCP Port(s): <enter the appropriate TCP port values>
o Private IP Address: <enter the IP address of the host server>
o Private UDP Port(s): <enter the same as Public UDP Ports or your choice>
o Private TCP Port(s): <enter the same as Public TCP Ports or your choice>
o Click "Continue"

Oct 3, 2010 3:54 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks very much for your detailed response. Some things that are not clear to me. The IPv4 Address is now 192.168.1.69, same as my internal IP address. Do I manually change this (to what), & is this the same address I use in step 2 for the Private IP address?
What is the MAC hardware address?
Since Filemaker says to forward port 5003, is this the number I use for all 4 UDP/TCP ports?
Thanks again for your patience.

Oct 3, 2010 4:09 PM in response to Bob R

The IPv4 Address is now 192.168.1.69, same as my internal IP address. Do I manually change this (to what), & is this the same address I use in step 2 for the Private IP address?

I assume that you mean this address is the Private IP address currently assigned to the Filemaker host ... correct? I would guess that this address was assigned by the DHCP server in your AEBSn. Note, it is a dynamically assigned address. That would mean, it could change to any IP address within the DHCP address pool.

What you want is to assign a static Private IP address to the host ... so it doesn't change over time. The instructions I provided earlier shows you how to use DHCP to assign a "static" IP address by reserving a single dynamic IP address from its address pool. You can assign any address (even the current one) from the DHCP pool by using the DHCP Reservation feature within the AirPort Utility. Whatever address you decide on would be the one entered as the Private IP Address when mapping port 5003.

Since Filemaker says to forward port 5003, is this the number I use for all 4 UDP/TCP ports?

If Filemaker did not explicitly call out UDP or TCP, it won't cause any harm to use both ports ... so, yes, you would enter 5003 for each of the port entries in the mapping window.

What you are basically doing is telling the AirPort Extreme that any time it get a request from the Internet on port 5003 to direct that request to the host device listed with the Private IP Address (from the Port Mapping window).

Oct 4, 2010 10:09 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks Tesserax for clearing this up for me. I have ordered the APBSn to install at the host location.The only point I am unclear on is the TCP & UDP ports. I know Filemaker is 5003, I don't if I am to set both TCP & UDP to 5003. I had read earlier in another post that Filemaker was TCP 5003. Do you know about this or do I need to contact Filemaker?

Port forwarding for Filemaker network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.