Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does AppleTV output 24/96 audio through HDMI port?

I have a several high definition audio recordings (24bit/96KHz) in Apple lossless format on iTunes. Does the new AppleTV support streaming those files to a receiver at without down-sampling them? It has been reported on this forum the TOSLINK output is down-sampled to 16bit/44KHz. I'm curious to know whether the AppleTV supports streaming 24/94 Apple lossless recordings to a receiver with full fidelity over an HDMI connection.

How about multi-channel recordings?

Hector

MacBook, Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 12:17 PM

7 replies

Oct 4, 2010 4:05 PM in response to hdiaz55

As far as I have been able to determine, the AppleTV(v2) converts everything to 2 channel 16/48 over both TOSLINK and HDMI. That includes 24/96 Apple Lossless. It also includes 16/44.1 Apple Lossless. I tested 6-channel AAC, and only the front left and right channels were output over HDMI (as 2 channel 16/48).

If it is any consolation, 24/96 converted to 16/48 should sound better than 16/44.1 (which is what the old AppleTV did) since it is an even multiple and one simply has to drop every other sample.

Oct 4, 2010 4:12 PM in response to hdiaz55

Hector,

Can't answer definitively, but looking at the Apple TV2 tech specs on Apple's website, it says that ATV2 supports "...AIFF, Apple Lossless, Dolby 5.1 pass through"

As I understand, AIFF will allow 24/96 audio, so if the ATV2 spec is literally correct, it should pass it through. It definitely passes Dolby 5.1 through un-molested.

Not a definitive "yes", but no evidence of definitive "no" either.

Only worth a penny, not a full "2 cents worth".

🙂

Jim

Oct 4, 2010 5:47 PM in response to HeyJP

I have a DAC between Apple TV2 and my stereo. When it locks on a sample rate a light lights.

With Airport Express playing all 44.1 lossless music the 44.1 light was lit.

Now with Apple TV2 playing the same music from the digital optical out the 48K light is lit. As mentioned above it must be upsampling every stored lossless CD from 44.1 to 48.

Is that a good thing? My DAC has it's own up-sample button which I believe doubles the incoming rate. So I guess I'm upsampling twice. Does anyone know if there are consequences? I can disable the button on the DAC. (I could also put the AEexpress back for music and use ATV for video only)

Does AppleTV output 24/96 audio through HDMI port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.