Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Apple TV to a pre HD TV

I am hoping to connect the new Apple TV to a Sharp Aquos LC-30HV2U with HD capabilities, but without a digital converter box.

Available plus for external equipment are a 15-pin RGB lableed "HD input" and a 15-pin RGB labeled "Analog RGB".

Quesion: is there an HDMI to VGA cable that I could use?

iMac Intel Core Duo | MacBook Pro | G5 Dual | iBook G3, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 6:14 PM

I'm curious about your 15-pin RGB "HD input". I wonder what that is. Does it look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector
or more like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI_connector

The latter being a DVI connector that might actually work. There are DVI-to-HDMI cables and adapters available though many have reported issues with wobbly screens.

AFAIK there is no HDMI-to-Analog-VGA device that would help you due to the HDCP copy protection.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2010 6:14 PM in response to J and F__

I'm curious about your 15-pin RGB "HD input". I wonder what that is. Does it look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector
or more like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI_connector

The latter being a DVI connector that might actually work. There are DVI-to-HDMI cables and adapters available though many have reported issues with wobbly screens.

AFAIK there is no HDMI-to-Analog-VGA device that would help you due to the HDCP copy protection.

Oct 4, 2010 7:10 PM in response to J and F__

According to page 41 of the manual ([download here|http://www.retrevo.com/support/Sharp-LC-30HV2U-TVs-manual/id/276dj581/t/2> ), the HD Input connector uses an "RGB cable" which implies an analog signal, so not directly usable with the HDMI of the Apple TV.

HDMI, being a digital signal and VGA, being analog, there won't be a simple cable that you can get. You'd have to get a converter box to change the signal from digital to analog. They are available, but usually not cheap ([The ones I've seen are in the $150-$350 range|http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdtocoad.html].) which then offsets the low price advantage of Apple TV. Almost to the point of just getting a Mac Mini and using it's VGA connection instead. Also, it is uncertain if any HDCP content will work correctly with the converters so it seems like a gamble to get an adapter without further research. (Giving the Mac Mini another advantage as a safer choice than a Apple TV with a converter.)

Oct 6, 2010 3:27 PM in response to Asatoran

Thanks for the feedback.

The "HD input" plug is the VGA (15-pin).

I also contacted Sharp's customer service, here is the response I just received:
" In order to connect this to the TV you will need to convert the HDMI signal to a different compatible signal. You can convert to RGB, component, composite, or S-video. "

Not much of a tv video tech, so I am not sure what they are referring to,
just an HDMI-to-RGB cable or will I need a converter box?

Also, would it solve my problem if I "downgraded" to Apple TV's first generation?
It looks like there are more outlet options on that one ...

Oct 6, 2010 4:34 PM in response to J and F__

Not much of a tv video tech, so I am not sure what they are referring to,
just an HDMI-to-RGB cable or will I need a converter box?

As I mentioned previously, you will need a converter box. No "simple cable" will work for you.

Also, would it solve my problem if I "downgraded" to Apple TV's first generation?
It looks like there are more outlet options on that one ...

Yes, you could connect a gen1 ATV, since it has component video. But from the looks of it, the old ATV will not have Netflix. So it depends on what you want. Me personally, I have a non-HDMI TV, but I want Netflix. So ATV is out. A Roku box or a Boxee box is a better deal for me than a ATV (either generation.) But neither Roki nor Boxee will work as seamlessly with iTunes, won't have Airplay, etc.

For you, if the gen1 ATV has the features you want, then fine. But realize that it may be at the end of it's life, so you may not get many future updates. (i.e.: in couple of years, gen1 ATV might not work with iTunes 12.) Only you can decide if that is acceptable or not. Ask yourself, other than it being from Apple, what features of Apple TV did you need and want?

Oct 29, 2010 10:22 AM in response to Asatoran

Thanks, Asatoran!

Here's what I ended up getting: an HDTV to VGA adapter - and AppleTV now works like a charm!

Especially the Netflix surface is a great new feature, never been easier to browse the Instant Queue and switch from one movie to the next. Amazing picture quality, too!

Message was edited by: J & F

Oct 30, 2010 10:51 PM in response to J and F__

Why would anyone want to pay another $100 or so for some box to convert HDMI to (DVI, S-video, etc)? First, except for DVI option, HD becomes SD.

Instead, buy an old ATV with a HD while they're still available. If you want strictly NetFlix, buy a Blu-Ray player that includes the ability to receive NetFlix via your wifi. However, if you go this route, make sure the player outputs a signal you can use with your TV. I don't think the new players do DVI, but I could be wrong. Mine does do HDMI and component. It's a Samsung for that I bought for around $150.

Oct 31, 2010 2:56 AM in response to Macaby

Macaby wrote:
Why would anyone want to pay another $100 or so for some box to convert HDMI to (DVI, S-video, etc)? First, except for DVI option, HD becomes SD.

This was even a problem with the older AppleTV in that any converters of say component to SCART/Svideo/composite were very expensive in comparison to the AppleTV itself, and clearly precluded any HD output.

Having said that it may depend on what you're primarily watching - if it's a lot of SD stuff streamed from your own itunes library it may be good enough, and cheaper than a new TV if the old one is working fine. Even HD seen in SD may be accepatble to the user.

If it's HDMI to RGB though then no reason for it necesarily to be limited to SD, as analogue RGB can clealry be used for higher than SD resolution IF the TV supports it.

Instead, buy an old ATV with a HD while they're still available.

Certainly worth considering if he hadn't bough the converter.

If you want strictly NetFlix, buy a Blu-Ray player that includes the ability to receive NetFlix via your wifi. However, if you go this route, make sure the player outputs a signal you can use with your TV. I don't think the new players do DVI, but I could be wrong. Mine does do HDMI and component.

There's plenty of competition for AppleTV isn't there....Apple must have other features and of course Airplay waiting in the wings to make it stand out amongst the crowd - at least you'd hope so, as for me it doesn't offer much over the 1st gen unit being in UK without Netflix or TV Show rentals.

Nov 27, 2010 8:54 AM in response to J and F__

Hello, J&F hoping you can help me. I have a similar problem that my parents Hitachi Ultrascan HD has no HDMI port also. I looked at the ATV new version and it has a mini HDMI port they did not tell me about when buying this. I assume this is a HDMI2 port ,, how do i connect to the Hitachi. I only have S-Video and RCA component and composite connections.. no HDMI.

I also see you bought a connector? Would this work for me?
Brian

How to connect Apple TV to a pre HD TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.