Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't buy an Apple TV?

I have a Sony Wega 42 inch flat screen TV, but it only has DVI inputs. And no optical audio input. The guy at the store said there was absolutely no way to connect the new Apple TV to my Television and he could not sell it to me.

Is there no workaround for this?

iMac intel core duo, MacBook Pro 2Ghz Intel core duo, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 9:15 PM

19 replies

Oct 5, 2010 12:17 PM in response to Phil Rogers

Phil,

You can use an HDMI-to-DVI cable to connect the video portion of the ATV2 output to your Sony. However, you will have to have some kind of amplifier to handle the digital sound out of the ATV2 optical sound-out. There are Optical Audio-to-Analog audio converters available for $50-80.

Kind of a pain, but I assume your Sony has analog audio inputs. And I assume you are not using a stereo and external speakers for audio?

Jim

Oct 5, 2010 1:04 PM in response to HeyJP

Jim
No I'm not. I'm just using the regular television speakers for audio. Thank you, by the way, for your kind and polite reply, as opposed to the rather curt and abrupt one above. My TV's only five years old. I understand that in the world of some people that's a real relic, but for my family, such an item was a big purchase, and replacing it now seems kind of absurd. It's an HD television and it gets a great picture. Who knew Apple was going to come up with something which would have no downward compatibility at all?

Many thanks

Oct 6, 2010 10:49 AM in response to sneirbo2k7

Sneirbo,

Careful. The HDMI/DVI switch you referenced is strictly a passive box. It will pass HDMI to HDMI, DVI to DVI and/or Digital Audio to Digital Audio, Analog audio to analog audio.

It will not convert HMDI Digital audio to the analog Audio outputs. It is just a set of passive 2-to-1 selectors.

It will not solve the original problem posted here. Albeit a nice box to know about.

Jim

I can't buy an Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.