Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No RAW support for new Nikon P7000

Just received the new, compact, "pro-sumer" Nikon P7000 camera today. It's a beauty. High-end, finessed pictures in those situations where you don't want to lug a DSLR around. It's going head-to-head with the legendary Canon G11/G12.

One major "gotcha'" that I didn't know about until I started using the camera, is that the Nikon P7000 uses a proprietary RAW format. It's predecessor, the p6000, did too. However, while Aperture supports the older p6000 NRW "raw" format, it does NOT currently support the enhanced NRW+ format used by the p7000. f#$% !!!

This is truly annoying!! There is no reason that I can think of for the p7000 not to use the NEF raw format used by most other (Nikon) cameras. Thanks, Nikon!! /sarcasm

So this means that currently, RAW photos from the Nikon P7000 cannot be imported into Aperture. You have to set the camera to create "Fine" JPEG photos; which, granted, are pretty good. However, to get the advantage of RAW photos, you have to use the "ViewNX2" editing software that came with the camera. Blah!

Hopefully, Apple will step up, and the Raw Camera Support for Aperture will soon include the NRW+ format. Or even better yet, hopefully Nikon will see the error of their ways an migrate their Powershot cameras to the "standard" raw format, NEF, in an upcoming firmware release.

j0hnw

P.S. For info about the Nikon P7000, see: http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/coolpix/performan ce/p7000/index.htm

Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 10:40 PM

7 replies

Oct 4, 2010 11:00 PM in response to j0hnw3bb

One major "gotcha'" that I didn't know about until I started using the camera, is that the Nikon P7000 uses a proprietary RAW format

No news there. The Raw format on every single model of camera is different. In other words, every NEF produced by every Nikon model is a different from every other one, every CR2 produced by Canons are different from other Canon models. So Raw support for every single model of camera has to be added individually. This is nothing new. Search the forum.

Aperture menu -> Provide Aperture Feedback and let Apple know that you want support for this camera added. Then wait.

Regards

TD

Oct 5, 2010 5:50 AM in response to j0hnw3bb

Yes, it is a problem. Apple loses lots of market share through slow response time in supporting new cameras. Adobe is usually faster, so a workaround may be to use Adobe's DNG Converter to convert the Nikon P7000 NRW files to DNGs that Aperture can digest.

The P7000 does look like the pocket camera many of us have been whining to Nikon about for years. I lacks swivel display but the huge size of the LCD makes up for it. I want one!

-Allen Wicks

Oct 5, 2010 12:44 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

No news there. The Raw format on every single model of camera is different. In other words, every NEF produced by every Nikon model is a different from every other one, every CR2 produced by Canons are different from other Canon models. So Raw support for every single model of camera has to be added individually.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you're correct. I've been getting a quick education on RAW formats. It had never been an issue before because I usually get new cameras after they've been out for a while. This is the first camera I've ever bought when it was newly released (need it for an upcoming Central American trek).

I'm hoping Apple responds quickly with a Raw Support update. However, the fact that Nikon chose NRW+ for the P7000, a format tied to Microsquish's WIC codec, still bugs me. I wish they had gone with the NEF format, which seems to be based on the TIFF/EP standard with variances in data payload based on sensor geometry/architecture. The latter format seems like it would be an easier update. But I'm just speculating.

Thanks for the pointer to the "Feedback" link. I'll pass along my 2¢ to the Aperture team.

j0hnw

Oct 5, 2010 1:10 PM in response to SierraDragon

SierraDragon wrote:
Yes, it is a problem. Apple loses lots of market share through slow response time in supporting new cameras. Adobe is usually faster, so a workaround may be to use Adobe's DNG Converter to convert the Nikon P7000 NRW files to DNGs that Aperture can digest.

Thanks for the pointer to the free Adobe DNG Converter. Even though it doesn't yet support the P7000, you're right in that Adobe may beat Apple to the punch. Plus, I just like the idea of the DNG format. The Converter looks like a handy tool to have in the tool chest. I've got my fingers crossed that it's AppleScriptable 😉

The P7000 does look like the pocket camera many of us have been whining to Nikon about for years. I lacks swivel display but the huge size of the LCD makes up for it. I want one!

Despite my whining about RAW support, my initial impression after one day of shooting is that it's as great a camera as it looks on paper. Lots of control over the shot. Good, solid feel. Can get great shots in adverse (eg. low light) conditions. The only major annoyance I've noticed is slow RAW write times (several seconds using Class 6 card). I've heard some grumbling about AutoFocus issues, but I having had any problems with it yet. The swivel monitor isn't a big deal -- for me anyway -- because the 3" display is easy to see at any angle. Plus, I wanted rugged, and would worry about the swivel joint becoming a weak spot. BTW, you'll need some big pockets to call it a "pocket camera"; it dwarfs my Canon S90 (which I consider my pocket camera) 😉

Thanks again,
j0hnw

Oct 5, 2010 4:25 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith Barkley wrote:
It has been in production for a while, it is just called the Canon G11:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/theonlinephotographer/2010/09/nikanon.html

Lots of similarities, for sure; but not really... At the pro level a lot is about feel and ergonomics. Nikons are unequivocally distinctive, and for those of us with Nikons in hand for decades the G10-11-12 series, although very good cameras of the genre, are not the same despite the spec similarities. And the P6000 of course simply sucked, but the D2x and D3 certainly have that specific pro Nikon feel. I do think I will like the P7000 but have not handled one yet.

-Allen Wicks

No RAW support for new Nikon P7000

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.