4 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2012 10:28 AM by Dreamzguy
dashlapak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
This afternoon, for no reason that I can figure, literally thousands of messages disappeared from Mail. Two accounts worth, gone.

Once the immediate panic abated, I dug around in Library/Mail and found folders that appeared to contain the missing messages. I was able to rescue the messages from one of the accounts in a straightforward manner using "File->Import Messages... " But, I'm having major trouble with the other group of ~7,000 messages. As in, Mail refuses to import them.

Folder is called "Mac-<username>, inside of which is "INBOX.imapmbox" and "info.plist." I want to recoved the contents of the .imapmbox.

Tried to select the folder in with "Import data from: Apple Mail"; Mail thinks for a minute and reports back that "No valid Apple Mail files were found."

Tried to select the .imapmbox itself and go with "Import data from: Apple Mail"; Mail thinks for a minute and reports back that "No valid Apple Mail files were found."

Try the folder again, this time using "Import data from: Files in mbox format." Mail thinks for a minute then reports back that "No valid mbox files were found."

Tried the .imapmbox itself again using "Import data from: Files in mbox format." Mail thinks for a minute then reports back that "No valid mbox files were found."

This is killing me. The message are +right there,+ but I can't convince Mail to import the bloody things.

So, I ask ya: What the heck do I do now?

Thanks in advance for yuor help.

MBA, MBP, Core Duo iMac, 2 x iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • PictoPictures Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue, there does seem to be some suggestions out there but it looks like those solutions no longer work in OS 10.6.4 using Mail 4.3.

Have tried creating dummy folders in the User>Library>Mail>(Mailbox) folder, copying over the messages in many different ways but none seem to work.

Any help would be greatly received!

Many Thanks
    Shaun
  • aphilips Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    You need to COPY the entire INBOX.imapmbox to your desktop. Use the copy so as not to damage your source folder.

Once it has been copied to your desktop, change the name from INBOX.imapmbox to INBOX.mbox (remove the imap from the name).

Once this is done, go to mail > preferences > import. Choose import from apple mail and select the INBOX.mbox folder from your desktop and import.

The folder will then appear in an import folder in your mail app. Move the emails back into whatever folder you want from your mobileme account.

This worked for me and hopefully will work for you.
  • PictoPictures Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, only just seen your post.

This totally worked! Thank you very much.
  • Dreamzguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Can't tell you how relieved I was to finally find the correct solution - aphilips is a genius! It took me half a day but grateful that these forums still show archived posts - thank you so much.

My problem arose from changing hosts. Fortunately, I backed up the archive folder (from User/Preferences/Mail) to my desktop first. As so many others have found, simply choosing the folder and selecting either of the options (Import Apple Mail or import mbox files) doesn't work if your original account is/was IMAP. Follow aphilips instructions and it does (by creating 'import' folders - for inbox, sent, etc, under 'On My Mac). All I did after that was open each folder to 'select all' emails and then 'copy/paste' into the respective new account folders (with the new host, in my case) - and everything is back as it should be.

Edit: FWIW, I'm using OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on an Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook.

Cheers!

Message was edited by: Dreamzguy