Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support for older Sony camcorder

Hello. I have iMovie '09 on my new iMac. I just acquired an older Sony DCR-VX1000 camcorder that uses Mini DV tapes. I need to invest in new batteries, a charger, a DV cable, and a repair before actually using this camcorder but I wanted to know before I did.......Will iMovie support this camcorder? Will I have any other issues? Thanks in advance for any response.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 4:29 PM

If the camera has a Firewire port (Sony calls it iLink) then it will work with any version of iMovie.
5 replies

Oct 5, 2010 7:50 PM in response to wozusj

You just need to know what kind of Firewire port you have on your iMac.
Older iMacs will have Firewire 400. You need a 6 pin to 4 pin Firewire Cable to connect your camera.

If you have a newer iMac, you may have a Firewire 800 port. In this case, you need a 9 pin to 4 pin Firewire cable.

Click /About This Mac/More Info.../Firewire (under the hardware list). If it says Firewire Bus...Maximum Speed up to 800 Mb/S, that is Firewire 800. If max is 400Mb/S or so, that is FW400.

Support for older Sony camcorder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.