Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I wait to buy? (Antennagate)

Hello,

I have been considering this for a while and I finally decided I want to buy an iphone. The problem is that I don't know if I should wait for apple to physically fix the antenna problem or just buy it now. I know that if I where to buy it today and Apple were to release the iphone 4b shortly after then I'd be pretty ticked off.

I know you guys probably know as much as me on this situation but should I buy the iphone 4 now or wait another month to see if a fixed version comes out.

Windows 7

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 5:06 PM

14 replies

Oct 5, 2010 5:14 PM in response to JeannetteDan

I've had no issue with the reception on my iphone 4. I use no case and have experienced no problems.

Apple has released a new version of iphone in or around late June of each year since inception.

Here is what Apple says about the issue:

"We now know that the iPhone 4 antenna attenuation issue is even smaller than we originally thought. A small percentage of iPhone 4 users need a case, and we want to continue providing them a Bumper case for free. For everyone else, we are discontinuing the free case program on all iPhone 4s sold after September 30, 2010. We are also returning to our normal returns policy for all iPhone 4s sold after September 30. Users experiencing antenna issues should call AppleCare to request a free Bumper case.
"

http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/

Oct 5, 2010 5:34 PM in response to JeannetteDan

"
Thanks for the info roaminggnome, are you sure Apple won't break the pattern to fix this special case?"

Unless Apple announces, there is no way to know what they will or won't do.

From the terms of use of this forum:

"do not add Submissions about nontechnical topics, including:
Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions."

Oct 5, 2010 5:51 PM in response to JeannetteDan

JeannetteDan wrote:
Thanks for the info roaminggnome, are you sure Apple won't break the pattern to fix this special case? I feel you pain Arcturus214, I'm not sure if I should just give in and buy a "defective" iphone or wait it out as I do not currently own a cellphone of any kind and feel that I need one soon.

A lot of people were CONVINCED that Apple would release an updated iPhone 4 on September 30. Looks like it didn't happen.

Oct 5, 2010 6:33 PM in response to JeannetteDan

I returned my iPhone 4 over the antenna issue primarily (second reason was the proximity sensor). I used the phone exclusively in my home office with line of sight to a nearby tower out my office window. The signal was full all the time. I dropped 42% of calls lasting 5+ minutes over the last four days I had the phone (when I kept track). The phone was replaced twice, but it made no difference. I previously had the 3G and the 3GS. Neither of those phones have any issues at all from the same location. Dropped calls on the 3GS were 4 out of 100 over a one month test I did when I thought it was dropping a lot of calls.

Just to clarify though, my phone was used in the dock without me ever touching it. So, the antenna magic spot was not a factor for me. If I did touch that spot, all OUTBOUND transmission stopped at once (IE: just like hitting mute). The call would drop if I left my finger there for more than 10 seconds.

Oct 5, 2010 7:59 PM in response to Tamara

And while the OP would be upset if they bought a phone today and the phone was soon updated, just imagine how ticked off all the millions who own the phone will be if a newer version comes out sooner than they historically release the next generation phone. Hence, while this is simply my opinion, I find it highly unlikely anything will change until next summer when we would expect the next phone.......

Oct 5, 2010 8:38 PM in response to JeannetteDan

There is no "Antennagate", to worry about. I have several iPhone 4 both for business and pleasure. Several family members and friends here in Canada also have the iPhone 4 and none of them report any "antennagate" issue. If you can hold your hand over the iPhone and cause it to drop from 5 bars to no bars then it's defective and should be swapped. If though you experience what every cellphone user experiences by watching it drop one bar from what every you're seeing before holding it then that's normal. The only true reception complaints seem to come from AT&T users in the USA due to living in already known bad reception areas or in Canada those on either Bell, Telus or Virgin Mobile due to none of the three networks provide backwards support for EDGE. So when the user goes into a none 3G area the iPhone data won't function. My family, friends and myself are all on Rogers HSPA+ network in Canada which supports EDGE when in fringe areas. I have a far better experience with the iPhone 4 than I had with my previous iPhones and other smartphones such as Blackberry.

Oct 5, 2010 10:44 PM in response to JeannetteDan

The iPhone 4 is working really well for most people. You just need to be aware the the antenna issue could affect you depending on how you plan to use the phone.

If you will using a case or bumper. Or if the signal strengh is good in the area where you will be using the phone then you should be completely fine.

Remember the part of the quote that roaminggnome gave you from Apple:

"Users experiencing antenna issues should call AppleCare to request a free Bumper case."

The above remedy does not apply to any other iPhone ever made, only iPhone 4.

So, if you choose to purchase this phone make sure you give it a real workout to insure this issue does not affect you.

Oct 6, 2010 12:05 AM in response to JeannetteDan

JeannetteDan

Here is link to some information provided directly from the people in charge of the future of iPhone.

http://www.macworld.com/article/152732/2010/07/iphone4.html

You might be interested in the following Q&A answer:

"10:40 So I don't know what our next antenna design will be. Maybe our wizards in the antenna lab will come up with something better. But we're not feeling that this is a giant problem we need to fix."

You really have to read this transcript carefully. I still think they might be leaving the door open to a possible solution not to the antenna, but the problematic lower left corner.

Oct 6, 2010 8:46 AM in response to Tamara

Well finally I gave in, two days ago I bought an iPhone 4, and I am too having problems with the "death grip". Also sometimes when the phone is being sleeping for awhile I have no reception at all, the signal comes slowly, I don't know if this is normal. I had few dropped calls.
To top it off I had problems with the proximity sensor too. I really like my iPhone but I think I am going to either exchange it or return it.

Should I wait to buy? (Antennagate)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.