Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

12 String guitar effect

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew of a plug-in / effect setting or something that i can apply in garage band for my 6 string on audio in to make it sound like a 12 string? Is it possible?

Thanks
DKR

G5 Power Mac 1.8Ghz SP, Mac OS XI (11.1.1)

Posted on Dec 7, 2005 5:10 AM

8 replies

Dec 7, 2005 5:48 AM in response to Don King Resurrected

Things to try:
- Apply a chorus effect
- Duplicate the track and shift it to the right by a tiny fraction of a second
- Transpose the duplicate track by an octave

None of these will probaby give you a true 12-string effect (since the upper two strings of a real 12-string don't transpose), but with a little bit of mixing it might sound quite okay ...

(Man, this is one of the days where I give my 2 ¢ to almost anything ... maybe someone has really tried it?)

Dec 7, 2005 6:07 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

I suppose there might be a plug somewhere, but I haven't heard of it. I know some of the modeling amps have 12 string modeling in them, so it is possible as a plug.
What I have done is to do it manually. I play the part normally, then on a new track, I play most of it an octave higher, but if you really want a true 12 string sound, you have take note (no pun) of which notes are played on the high E and B strings, and make sure those notes are NOT octave, but instead just doubled, since those 2 strings are doubled and not octaves on a real 12 string. Using the same guitar and the same setting, panned the same, so it sounds like one instrument, and it sounds pretty good.

Dec 7, 2005 11:40 AM in response to Don King Resurrected

If you can afford to spend US$500 you ought to go to a music store and check out the Line 6 Variax guitars.

They use physical modeling technology built into a computer inside the guitar which transforms the basic 6-string electric sound into a huge variety of mostly-convincing emulations of acoustic guitars, twelve string guitars, and more.

Dec 7, 2005 6:53 PM in response to Don King Resurrected

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your replies. I don't really record what i play, i just use my computer as a preamp/effects box/etc before running it back to my amp. I mainly just use it fro practice and fun, live, not recording and doing stuff. That's why i was hoping for a plugin or setting or instrument type thingy. On that note, what plug-ins can i use with Garageband 2 ?

thanks for the feedback
DKR

Dec 8, 2005 1:30 PM in response to Don King Resurrected

Then if you have a signal splitter so you can send 2 signals of your guitar to the computer, on one side you can do what you already do, and maybe try the vocal transformer plugin for male to female on your guitar in the other channel. No idea what that will sound like, but it should give you an octave higher. 🙂

Dec 8, 2005 6:29 PM in response to Scott Laughlin-Richard

Hi Scott,
Great idea, i've got everything except for two line-ins. I have optical audio, but nothing to use with it. Perhaps under a different computer or if i had the usb dongle that had mutlitple inputs then maybe. I'm presently working on teaching myself how to create AU plugins, so i'm planning on creating something that i can just use as an effect, like the amplifiers and distortion etc.

Thanks
DKR

Dec 9, 2005 6:14 AM in response to Don King Resurrected

How are you getting input to the computer? I have a USB interface, and if I were going to do that, I also have an old stereo analog delay stompbox that has 2 outputs, so you can use 2 separate amps, I guess. I'd take one line out of each of those to each of the 2 inputs on my Tascam US-122, and assign them to channel one mono, and channel two mono.

Dec 10, 2005 5:27 AM in response to Scott Laughlin-Richard

i have two 1/4" to 1/8" converters, so one in my guitar and then a standard male to male 1/4" into my G5's line in. Then from my normal speaker out male to male 1/4" cable, to 1/4" to 1/8" converter in Amp input. The only hardware equipement i have is my G5, 6 string electric, and amp. I haven't needed more than one input at anyone time, so i've never looked into any of the USB/FW input devices.

Thanks for the input, sounds like a very do-able solution, although i like to keep as much of my money in my pocket as i can 😉

Cheers
DKR

12 String guitar effect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.