Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving savegames between two phones, and retaining savegames upon switch

Last night, I finally received my iPhone 4. Needless to say, my time since then has been a constant love affair.

However, I've two reservations which keep me from enjoying my iPhone to the fullest. Perhaps the forum wizards of this place can help me resolve them 🙂

1. I've quite a few savegames on my iPhone 3GS which I would like to magically appear on my new iPhone 4 (and I am willing to give magic a few prods in the right direction). Is there a way to somehow transfer these to my iPhone 4?

2. I am currently using my iPhone 4 with a temporary Windows installation, since my OS X partition broke down, and I've been unable to restore or reinstall it. Once I install a new, shiny 500 GB harddrive in my MacBook Pro, and instead tie my iPhone 4 to that OS X install's iTunes library, I've the feeling that iTunes will be wanting to replace content already on my phone, such as music. Will this affect my savegames as well?

If I avoid syncing my apps to the new installation (and just sync the rest, such as music and photos), will my savegames be left in peace, or will the process of just syncing music, photos and information with the new library also delete my apps?

I am willing to forego syncing apps to my new iTunes installation, since I very rarely use that function anyways. But if I do NOT sync my apps to my new iTunes, will my app files (savegames, documents, etc), not be included in my backups? (Provided I CAN backup without loosing all those unsynced apps and their specific content.)

Thankful for any help out of this still rather confounding syncing jungle... (and with a constant longing for the day when everything is synced into the cloud, always accessible, with no looming risk of deletion...)

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 6:54 AM

3rd party app settings and data created and stored by a 3rd party apps is included with your iPhone's backup. This link provides the data that is included with your iPhone's backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

When connecting a new iPhone to iTunes on the same computer that was being used to sync a previous iPhone, a prompt is provided to transfer the backup for the previous iPhone to the new iPhone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

Your iTunes library should be included with your computer's backup along with all other important data - namely the iTunes named folder located in your Music folder. If you include the iTunes named folder with your computer's backup and transfer this from your backup to the new hard drive with iTunes quit before doing so, nothing will be erased from your iPhone with the first sync and your iTunes library on your new hard drive will be identical to how it was previously.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2010 6:54 AM in response to Ayjona

3rd party app settings and data created and stored by a 3rd party apps is included with your iPhone's backup. This link provides the data that is included with your iPhone's backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

When connecting a new iPhone to iTunes on the same computer that was being used to sync a previous iPhone, a prompt is provided to transfer the backup for the previous iPhone to the new iPhone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

Your iTunes library should be included with your computer's backup along with all other important data - namely the iTunes named folder located in your Music folder. If you include the iTunes named folder with your computer's backup and transfer this from your backup to the new hard drive with iTunes quit before doing so, nothing will be erased from your iPhone with the first sync and your iTunes library on your new hard drive will be identical to how it was previously.

Moving savegames between two phones, and retaining savegames upon switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.