Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PCI wireless card connected to network but safari says not connected to net

Hi everyone
I moved my computer and had to change from wired ethernet to wifi. I installed a ralink PCI card in my MDD G4 dual 867. It sees the network and connects but Safari doesn't know it is on a network. What am I missing? I also have to connect manually every bootup. How do I setup autostart? My wireless router is a D-link DIR-615. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

G4 dual 867 Powermac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), added ralink pci wireless card

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 5:48 PM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2010 6:17 PM in response to davidcur

Hi David,

The Interface that connects to the Internet, needs to be drug to the top of Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations and checked ON.

Then... Try putting these numbers in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers, for the Interface you connect with...

Then Apply

DNS Servers are a bit like Phone books where you look up a name and it gives you the phone number, in our case, you put in apple.com and it comes back with 17.149.160.49 behind the scenes. 🙂

These Servers have been patched to guard against DNS poisoning, and are faster/more reliable than most ISP's DNS Servers.

Oct 7, 2010 6:39 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi bdaqua
When I came back to my computer after 30 minutes of posting here I had a message that said PCI Ethernet slot 5 is active. I was able to get on internet.I didn't understand what you ment by "The interface that connects to the internet needs to be drug to the top of Network>Show>Network Port Configurations and checked ON. What is the interface? Thank You for your patience

Dave

Oct 7, 2010 6:51 PM in response to davidcur

The interface that connects to the internet needs to be drug to the top of Network>Show>Network Port Configurations and checked ON. What is the interface?

The Interface would be whatever it shows the ralink PCI card as, others there might be Aiport, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Firewire, etc.

So in System Preferences click on Network, choose Show: near the top, choose Network Port configurations, then you can drag them to the order you wish, with whatever ralink PCI card is at the top.

PCI wireless card connected to network but safari says not connected to net

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.