Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gigantic temporary file from free space erase.

I used Disk Utility to overwrite the free space on my hard drive and it had a hang up. I hit skip and restarted and now there is a gigantic temporary file hogging up my disk space. I can't find it, and all the googling I've done found me a fix specified for 10.4 which does not work on 10.6 apparently. I found the folder, but it was empty. I currently have about 90 MB of free disk space. Somebody on another forum suggested restarting the computer and that did not work. Please help me find and delete this gigantic file.

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 11:09 PM

11 replies

Oct 27, 2010 1:34 PM in response to MrPete007

I found this in another thread- but I am not sure I understand it.

____

Recovering From a Failed Secure Erase Free Space
January 14, 2007 - 4:20pm

Sometimes, when using the erase free space function of Disk Utility, the process will be interrupted by a crash, hang, power outage, or small mammal urinating on the power supply. Should this happen, you’ll find that your disk has suddenly lost the majority of its free space and nothing you do in the GUI will show you where it is. No amount of checking the disk will bring it back, because it’s not a catalog problem.

Disk Utility accomplishes the erase feature by creating large sparse image files in a preset directory. It then deletes them with the srm tool (secure remove) and an overwrite pattern of your choice. If Disk Utility is interrupted, this sparse image is left on the disk just taking up space. Starting another free space erase session makes another file, instead of cleaning up the previous one. So, as there are no checks in Disk Utility for cleaning up this failed process, so you have to hunt it down manually.

There are a variety of ways of doing this, but I’ll cut to the chase and give you the answer. The files are created in /var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems and are sequential variations of the name EFTFile1.sparseimage. Simply remove these files (as root) to reclaim your free space and then start the process again to finish the task.

sudo rm -f /var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/*

Can someone give us a step by step on how this works?

-Open terminal

-type in "sudo rm -f /var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/*" ?

Is that all there is to it?

Jan 29, 2011 3:57 PM in response to MrPete007

/Library/Caches being the pre-10.5 location for temporary stuff. It was in a fixed location and world-writable, so Apple decided to move things to a less predictable location and owned by each user for better security.
Now /var/folders/* is used in 10.5 and later. For example, I am running `diskutil secureErase freespace 1 /` right now. And it is creating a file /var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee +++++++++/TemporaryItems/EFTFile1.sparseimage

If you need to find this in the future, running the command `find /var/folders -size +5G` as root is probably a good way to track it down.

Jan 30, 2011 2:16 AM in response to MrPete007

What I would hope would have also worked would be to try an app like [WhatSize|http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13006/whatsize] to identify the files and location. WhatSize costs money but there are alternatives which are free too. I got WhatSize as part of a bundle and it's one of those utilities that turned out to be an unexpected bonus to whatever I was really purchasing the bundle for.

Jun 19, 2011 7:43 PM in response to GodShaveTheQueen

Hi everyone, thanks for the information but i am still STUCK with exactly the same problem. Maybe even worse: because after my failed Erase Free Space took all my available space with the temporary file, I now can't log in to my Macbook Air...it says there isn't enough free space.

So, i have loaded Disk Utility via the Install Disks (via a Remote Install from another Mac), but that hasn't worked.

Am also now in Terminal, but can't locate that large file to remove it. I don't see it in the /private/var/root/.Trash/Recovered files mentioned above, although there are some files in there.

Any help at all? thanks!

Gigantic temporary file from free space erase.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.