Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop image capture from starting up when iPad connected

No matter how often I choose "No Application' from Image Capture's "Connecting this iPad opens" drop-down, it never works. Next time I plug in my iPad, Image Cap pops up again, and the drop-down has reset to "Image Capture". Very annoying.

I've tried deleting com.apple.Image_Capture.plist, and a few other things. But Image Capture is stubbornly determined to fire up every time I connect up.

This is with a Wifi-only 16GB iPad, connected to a macbook running Snow Leopard.

Any ideas?

iOS 4

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 10:36 AM

Try this sys. pref. pane: http://www.flexibits.com/
26 replies

Dec 30, 2010 4:28 PM in response to cb12394856

Just reopening in case anyone else has come across this. Image Capture is stubborn.

I've tried blowing away its preferences (both using defaults and manually deleting the plist file). So I assume some other process--Finder?-- is responsible for calling up Image Capture when the iPad is plugged in. Whichever process that is must be the key. Anyone know?

Jan 2, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Michael Morgan1

Your notion inspires one possible workaround -- I could make some kind of no-op applescript or something, and see if the 'this iPad opens' drop-down will stay pointed at that. At least then the app fired by plugging the iPad in wouldn't actually do anything annoying.

That said, I'd still love to know which actual process is watching for a plugged-in iPad, and chooses to open Image Capture in response. It surely must be possible to get said process to do something different.

Jun 6, 2012 8:08 AM in response to cb12394856

I don't know if you've found an answer yet, but what worked for me was to start iPhoto (yes, iPhoto and not Image Capture), open preferences, and under General set preferences to "Connecting camera opens: No application". Close preferences, and quit iPhoto.

I can then attach my iPad, or iPhone, or digital camera, without Image Capture or iPhoto opening up automatically.

Aug 31, 2012 1:44 PM in response to cb12394856

From what I can tell this is a bug.

This is how I fixed it.

1. Open iPhoto-Preferences-general

2. Where is says "Connect Camera Opens" it should say "No Application" even though the aplication still opens. If it doesn't switch it to no application. If it does go to step three.

3. Set it for whatever program currently opens. (iphoto or image capture)

4. Save the preference and shut down iPhoto and Image Capture

5. Dissconnect the camera

6. Reconnect the camera

7. Open iPhoto-Preferences-general

8. Where it says "Connect Camera Opens" change it from iPhoto or Image Capture to "No Application."

9. Save the preference and shut down iPhoto and Image Capture

10. Disconnect the camera

11. Reconnect the camera

The problem should be fixed at that point. You basically need to reset the command.

It worked for me. YMMV

Stop image capture from starting up when iPad connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.