Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini server for Discussion forum hosting.

I am running a discussion forum. www.uroeducation.org. It is hosted by my webmaster in a server some where in Canada. It has more than 700 members and

Suppose if I buy a Mac mini server and install it in my house and connect it to the home broad band can I host the forum site in the mac mini server.

Please help me understand. I want to decide about buying this mini server for the forum.

Mac Mini (Tiger), Macbook (Leopard), AXn, Virgin internet by Netgear, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Mac mini connected to 32" HDTV

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 7:00 AM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2010 10:04 AM in response to Badrakumar

The mini should have enough horsepower to handle your serving needs, but of course that can't be verified for sure unless the server is stress-tested.

However, you have a few other considerations that may not even involve the server...

- Is your home broadband "fast" enough to accommodate the service? (ie. what is your upload/download speed and capacity.)

- Do your terms of service for the home broadband allow for running a commercial website?
(In US, at least in my region, the TOS require one to purchase the "Business" tier service.)

- Does your broadband retain the same IP address, or is the IP subject to change?

- Security, this does touch on your box... are you well enough versed into the software modules and OS to keep them secure and administered properly?

- And of course backups and business continuity, do you have a plan to handle those?

Oct 14, 2010 1:06 PM in response to Badrakumar

The home/business that I mentioned is not related to your server, but rather to the type of Internet Service you are provided with.

Commonly, a home network connection gets a new IP address on a predetermined amount of time, or after you reboot your modem. If you are running such a setup your users would not be able to reach your server.
(I assume you are familiar with how DNS and IP addresses are related.)

Message was edited by: tibor.moldovan

Mac mini server for Discussion forum hosting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.