Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using the 5Ghz Network and Interference

Hi,

I have an Airport that supports dual band (2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz).

According to Apple, the 5Ghz band is supposed to be faster and can cover a wider range.
However, that doesn't seem to be the case, because at most locations more than 5m from the base station, I can connect to and use the 2.4Ghz network, but not the 5Ghz network.

When I'm 3m away from it (it is even in line of sight!), the signal is only about 50%. Is this normal or does it suggest interference?
I tried switching channels (instead of using Auto Detection) but they all don't seem to have any impact on the signal strength and quality.

Image: screen capture from iStumbler (2 Guest Networks and 2 Private Networks: 1 each in 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz)

User uploaded file

Regards.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 7:59 AM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2010 11:08 AM in response to colin N

5Ghz is faster, but the range decreases compared to 2.4Ghz. You should however still be able to connect and use it, and it still should be faster than your 2.4 network.

As frequency increases, range generally decreases. As a result, 5 GHz systems, based only on frequency, may have less range than ones operating in the 2.4 GHz band.

Oct 8, 2010 3:49 PM in response to colin N

+According to Apple, the 5Ghz band is supposed to be faster and can cover a wider range.+

Faster yes, wider range is hard to believe unless there are some very fancy marketing disclaimers in the fine print.

+at most locations more than 5m from the base station, I can connect to and use the 2.4Ghz network, but not the 5Ghz network.+

You must give up something to gain something. In the case of 5 GHz, in return for faster speed, you give up distance and penetration power. The higher frequency 5 GHz signals are absorbed by any walls, ceilings or other obstructions much more quickly than 2.4 GHz signals.

In many respects, 5 GHz is a line-of-sight deal. Unless you have line of sight with the router, your computer will probably connect to the 2.4 GHz band since that is a much stronger signal.

+When I'm 3m away from it (it is even in line of sight!), the signal is only about 50%+

That's a good signal considering that it might be 60% within a few feet of the router. The router broadcasts in all directions. You can't expect the computer to pick up all of the signal that is being radiated. A large portion of the signal is being absorbed by the wall behind the router.

Your screen shot from iStumbler looks good. If you want to connect using 5 GHz, you'll need to minimize the obstructions between your computer and the router.

Using the 5Ghz Network and Interference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.