Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6g nano will ONLY charge when attached to PC (??)

My new 6g nano seems to charge ONLY when I have it connected to the PC. It will not charge on an Apple USB wall adapter, on the iHome dock, or attached to my Mercedes in-car adapter. Is this normal or is my nano broken?

6g nano, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 4:35 PM

16 replies

Nov 3, 2010 9:09 AM in response to vandyke.brown

Hi, I have a similar problem because I could not charge my new ipod nano with Bose soundock (white edition), I just could use it to listen to music; when I use this dock, ipod is discharged very fast (3 to 4 hours). It was not possible to charge it with USB car adapter neither.
I have a second generation ipod nano and it is charged with soundock, USB wall adapter, car adapter etc., no problem with this.

Nov 9, 2010 2:12 PM in response to vandyke.brown

I just recently bought a 6g iPod nano, and when I go to plug in to my Dell, it charges fine, but a message pops up saying that it can sync to my iTunes, but it _*will delete information on the iPod's disk*_. I would initially be perfectly fine with this, because I haven't stored anything on it yet, but I don't know if it will delete more info in the future. Help? Thanks.

Nov 9, 2010 5:59 PM in response to vandyke.brown

Definitely not broken....

I have the same issue. I bought one of these for my wife after her 1G Nano died. We have a BOSE SoundDock and a 3rd party controller for the 4-Runner. The 6G Nano will play on both of these units, but to our dismay, it doesn't charge on either of them. Now she has to remember to bring her Nano in the house each night because only our MacBook will charge it. Wish I had known that before I spent the $$$.

Nov 18, 2010 3:14 PM in response to vandyke.brown

6G nanos are not compatible with older iHomes and other products according to Apple tech support. You have to plug into your PC to charge. Certainly is frustrating when the thing can't be shut off (no off switch) and even putting it to sleep takes 24 hours before it will auto- shut off. Who thought this monster up?
Apple won't take them back either........bad design and obviously many customers are having issues with batteries and charging.

Dec 2, 2010 10:29 AM in response to Not2teckky

Do they make any decent adapters to allow these newer generation Nano's Iphones, Itouches etc. to charge on older docs, like the ones that work with my Nano 3G? I really like my Nano 3G and its docs but want to get an ITouch or something but maybe not if it won't charge on the various docs I have for my Nano.

Jan 3, 2011 12:15 PM in response to vandyke.brown

This is becoming a common problem on some cars. Mercedes in particular. The issue (apparently) is both voltage (new Nanos use a 5V charge versus 12V for older Nanos) and pin placement in the connector (the power pin is now #19 for the 5V charge, versus something else for 12V). In short, a Nano 6th gen will work in a new Mercedes if charged prior to plugging in but it won't charge in the car. I've been researching this for a while. Scosche makes an adapter but it's not clear if it will work with a Nano 6th gen (waiting for mine now). So older cables (Firewire) & wall adapters won't charge it. Use the USB and your computer or buy a new wall adapter. As for the Mercedes and others, the manufacturers need to update the connector cables and voltage - which is not likely anytime soon, regrettably. Drives me crazy that my 5 year old iPod Mini works fine in the Bnez, but not the new Nano 6th gen.

Jan 5, 2011 9:00 AM in response to rossvesq

Exactly. Thanks once again, rossvesq. Yep, my 5yo Nano works fine in the Benz, but the newest one doesn't. Will be interested to hear more about this Scosche adapter. Sounds like it should do the trick. (I saw it at Amazon for $18.13 and ordered it, even though one reviewer claims it does not work with Mercedes. A "Griffin" adapter is mentioned also, but this appears to be for charging only, not for playing music though the car's audio system.)

Please update/remark when you get your Scosche, OK?

Jan 5, 2011 4:09 PM in response to vandyke.brown

I called Apple before I bought this little monster and specifically said: will this work with my Bose docking station? Apple said: "YES." Maybe I needed to be specific about "work" because I meant PLAY and CHARGE, just like my old, 4G, perfectly good (but small capacity) iPod.

Now I find that I can only charge this if it's connected to my computer? AND, the battery gets sucked down to nothing in about three hours if I'm playing it in the dock?

And when I tried to re-call Apple to ask this question, I'm now told that I have to pay to speak to a tech. I've had this thing a week and it's done nothing but **** me off.

Do they monitor these discussion boards, because WOW they have some angry customers here...

Not happy...

Jan 6, 2011 3:38 PM in response to vandyke.brown

Okay, update for all the poor souls out there (including me) who could not get their latest Nano to charge in their Mercedes. First, the bad news - the $18 Scosche adapter does NOT work - i.e., it doesn't permit the Benz to charge the Nano. It still plays, displays titles, etc., but no charge. So don't waste your money there. Now the good news - if you have an ML class or GL class Mercedes DOES MAKE AN UPDATED ADAPTER - it is part no. B67824578 and is called the updated media interface cable for Command. Hold your breath, it was $64 with tax! But it works. You simply snap out the old cable, snap in the new, and voila, the Nano plays and charges. No idea if they offer the updated cable for the other classes (E, S, SL, R, etc.), I didn't ask but my guess is they do or if now will offer shortly. So, good luck, and good tunes!

6g nano will ONLY charge when attached to PC (??)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.