Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library file cannot be saved error -50

This morning I'm continually getting this error message popping up on my iTunes.

Last night I had to restart my Mac as everything had frozen, and it was the same scenario this morning when I returned to it.

After restarting and playing some tunes the error message started to appear, and switching between playlists etc. was very slow with the beach ball spinning a lot.

I've a large iTunes collection (95,000+ tracks) stored on an external firewire drive.

I've read elsewhere this morning someone having a problem, and reinstalling Snow Leopard was suggested and after many hours it seemed to work.

Has anybody else come across this error, and had other solutions to the problem?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 6:47 AM

launch *disk utility* (in applications/utilities) and run +verify disk+ and +repair permissions+ sessions.

you may see warnings which, however, usually can be ignored. see _*permission repair messages you can safely ignore*_.

reboot you machine and see if the problem persists. if it does, you might want to try this:

(a) download the [_*Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)*_|http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1048]
(b) reboot into _*safe mode*_
(c) run the combo
(d) after running the combo, let the Mac reboot normally and +repair permissions+ again.

J GG

User uploaded file
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2010 6:47 AM in response to John Kilcar

launch *disk utility* (in applications/utilities) and run +verify disk+ and +repair permissions+ sessions.

you may see warnings which, however, usually can be ignored. see _*permission repair messages you can safely ignore*_.

reboot you machine and see if the problem persists. if it does, you might want to try this:

(a) download the [_*Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)*_|http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1048]
(b) reboot into _*safe mode*_
(c) run the combo
(d) after running the combo, let the Mac reboot normally and +repair permissions+ again.

J GG

User uploaded file

iTunes library file cannot be saved error -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.