Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restrict access to bootcamp partition

Hello,

I have snow leopard and boot camp 3.1

Within snow leopard I would like to be able to restrict access to the bootcamp partition so that only I can read and write to it. I don't want any other user accounts to be able to read or write to it.

Is this possible? How do I do it? I thought I would be able to do this under get info for the drive, but in the sharing and permissions it just says "you have custom access", with no option to change anything.

At the moment the only other account I have on the machine is a guest account but I will be adding more standard user accounts later and don't want any of these accounts to be able to mess with the bootcamp partition.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 9:18 AM

Is this possible?

No.

I thought I would be able to do this under get info for the drive, but in the sharing and permissions it just says "you have custom access", with no option to change anything.

FAT32 partitions don't use permissions, and Mac OS X can't change the permissions on an NTFS drive.

(54245)
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2010 9:18 AM in response to opodder

Is this possible?

No.

I thought I would be able to do this under get info for the drive, but in the sharing and permissions it just says "you have custom access", with no option to change anything.

FAT32 partitions don't use permissions, and Mac OS X can't change the permissions on an NTFS drive.

(54245)

Oct 20, 2010 12:20 PM in response to opodder

I'm no expert, but I have a theory, and do let me know if this helps. If anyone knows more, feel free to comment as you probably have more knowledge than me.

For one, I understand that bootcamp partition permissions are dependent upon the format for the partition.
-NTFS does not allow you to modify anything at all/
-FAT32 allows you to modify access permissions, including read and write.

First you should probably re-partition the drive into a FAT32 format so you can actually read and write.

Then, while on an Administrator account, Get Info on the Partition Drive.
Your list of accounts and permissions should be listed below.

You could probably then, when looking at the group "Everyone" you could change the partition to "No Access."

I've noticed you can also add specific accounts onto that list, but that does not allow you to specifically give that person "No Access."

So, I am thinking that you could maybe set "Everyone's" access to No Access, but add Administrators and/or other specific account with Read and Write.

Let me know if you think this could work. I do suggest asking others before doing it though just because I am no expert.

Oct 20, 2010 1:18 PM in response to MatDor

First you should probably re-partition the drive into a FAT32 format so you can actually read and write.

If it needs to be used to boot Windows Vista or 7, that's impossible. These OSes require NTFS on the boot drive. And even if it's done with Windows XP, FAT32 doesn't support file permissions, owners, or groups.

(54423)

Restrict access to bootcamp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.