Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting my DVD TV shows onto my Apple TV

Hi, Can anyone tell me the best file format to convert my TV shows to so they will play OK on my Apple TV?

Also, which is the best software to use. I would like to archive my DVD collection to my Mac so I can view it with my ATV and also my iPhone as an when.

I own the DVDs so I am not attempting to rip anyone off here.

iMac intel, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 3GS 16GB, macbook

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 11:08 AM

9 replies

Oct 10, 2010 11:12 AM in response to Robert Borley

Robert Borley wrote:
Hi, Can anyone tell me the best file format to convert my TV shows to so they will play OK on my Apple TV?

they need to be h264 mpeg4

Also, which is the best software to use. I would like to archive my DVD collection to my Mac so I can view it with my ATV and also my iPhone as an when.

I own the DVDs so I am not attempting to rip anyone off here.

discussions of that nature are not permitted here.
regardless of ownership, "ripping" DVDs is not permitted as per the DMCA. as the forum is run by a US company, the DMCA applies.

Oct 10, 2010 11:25 AM in response to J.K. ROFLing

J.K. ROFLing wrote:
Not necessarily, I have a number of TV shows that I have recorded legally onto VCR tape and converted to DVD. There are no DRM or DMCA issues there, that was sorted out before DVDs. The problem is when the DRM is being circumvented, not converting to/from DVD.

there is some debate that even recording to VCR and then putting on to DVD is technically allowed, but that's a debate for another day (just because you could buy blank tapes doesn't mean that the copyright owners were happy about it!)

Oct 10, 2010 12:00 PM in response to Chenks

Yes, "ripping" a DVD (i.e. making an exact copy on your hard drive) for archival purposes will need something else. I personally saw no useful reason to do this (for me anyway) as the files are huge and I already own the physical media. I tried Rip-it once, it seemed simple enough, but it's not free.

Message was edited by: tallrad1

Oct 10, 2010 12:02 PM in response to tallrad1

tallrad1 wrote:
Yes, "ripping" a DVD (i.e. making an exact copy on your hard drive) for archival purposes will need something else. I personally saw no useful reason to do this (for me anyway) as the files are huge and I already own the physical media. I tried Rip-it once, it seemed simple enough, but it's not free.

no you misunderstand.
if you put a DVD in the drive and try to use Handbrake (on its own), you will not get anything off the DVD. handbrake does not have the ability to break the encryption on a protected DVD. you actually need something else installed on your system to achieve that.

however this discussion is teetering on the edge of the forum rules, so let's leave it there before the thread gets deleted.

Getting my DVD TV shows onto my Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.