Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a question about Applications folder!

Hello,

My Mac running 10.6.4 version. I click on Finder and opening window, at Places section respectively Desktop, kaganvaroglum, Applications, Documents. So I click on kaganvaroglum > then respectively Applications, Desktop, Documents and so on. I click on Applications folder inside kaganvaroglum but there is nothing inside. Although at Places section > Applications, all my applications files are inside. so Could you please explain me why I cannot see any Applications inside kaganvaroglum folder ?
Thank You.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 11, 2010 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2010 3:48 AM

There are two Applications folders, one at the root directory (Macintosh HD--also denoted as /) and one inside each user's home folder (kaganvaroglum). The main one is where Most Applications should be. If you have an application that only one user can use, you'd install it in that user's Applications folder. But, by default, each user's Applications folder will be empty.
The applications you see in the Sidebar is located at /Applications, not /Users/kaganvaroglum/Applications.
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2010 3:48 AM in response to Kagan Varoglum

There are two Applications folders, one at the root directory (Macintosh HD--also denoted as /) and one inside each user's home folder (kaganvaroglum). The main one is where Most Applications should be. If you have an application that only one user can use, you'd install it in that user's Applications folder. But, by default, each user's Applications folder will be empty.
The applications you see in the Sidebar is located at /Applications, not /Users/kaganvaroglum/Applications.

Oct 11, 2010 5:31 AM in response to Barney-15E

I wonder if there a particular 3rd-party installer that silently generates the home/Applications folder that many people have. None of my own user home folders have an Applications folder, and the home folder of a newly created test user account doesn't have one either.

It isn't in the system default user template:
---------------------------
$ sudo ls -l /System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj
Password:
total 0
-rw------- 1 root wheel 3 Jul 24 2007 .CFUserTextEncoding
drwx------+ 3 root wheel 102 Jun 18 2009 Desktop
drwx------+ 4 root wheel 136 Jun 18 2009 Documents
drwx------+ 4 root wheel 136 Jun 18 2009 Downloads
drwx------+ 20 root wheel 680 Jun 18 2009 Library
drwx------+ 3 root wheel 102 Jun 18 2009 Movies
drwx------+ 3 root wheel 102 Jun 18 2009 Music
drwx------+ 4 root wheel 136 Nov 4 2009 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 root wheel 136 Jun 18 2009 Public
drwxr-xr-x+ 5 root wheel 170 Nov 4 2009 Sites

-------------------------

Nov 14, 2010 8:15 AM in response to jsd2

This has been a mystery for me too. I have been using OS X since 10.1.4 on three different Macs. Never once have I had an Applications folder created inside any of my user accounts. But it seems that many other users do have one. I had always assumed that people create it on their own. Perhaps some third party program is creating it for them and people are assuming it's a standard part of a new user account.

Nov 16, 2010 2:49 AM in response to jsd2

No - The set up was done on a new macbook pro without transferring anything from any other machine. I haven't tried setting up other accounts to see if they also get Applications Folders.

Further investigation of the forums reveals that this additional Application Folder seems to be a common "feature" and as it causes no problem I will just leave it where it is and ignore it.

As it does not appear on my iMac which was upgraded to Snow Leopard I can but presume that the additional Applications Folder only happens with a complete brand new installation of Snow leopard on a new machine. I guess this is just one of life's little anomolies.

Message was edited by: Chris Lord

Nov 16, 2010 10:15 AM in response to Chris Lord

Chris Lord wrote:
No - The set up was done on a new macbook pro without transferring anything from any other machine. I haven't tried setting up other accounts to see if they also get Applications Folders.

Here's two more wrinkles:

I just did a fresh install of SL to an empty partition, and set up a user (no transfer). That user does not have an Applications folder in its home folder.

However . . . that's from an original 10.6.0 disc. Perhaps it's changed since then?

On my usual 10.6.5 system:

• If I create a new user, there's no Applications folder in the home folder.
  • If I create an Applications folder in my home folder, it has the special icon, just like the one in /Applications.
    |
    Curiouser and curiouser. 😉

a question about Applications folder!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.