6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2010 3:17 PM by Solar71
Solar71 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hey you guys.

I have a few newbie questions for you iphone gurus.

1st : is it true that even though the iphone 4 displays in 720 res, it will only output at 480 res?

Reason i ask is that when i watch streamed movies on my TV, through my iphone from Netflix, it looks slightly less sharp/clear then when i watch it on the iphone itself.

2nd : When i want to show people pictures i took with my iphone on my TV. I goto the pictures area in the iphone and load the picture. But it does not display on my TV unless i start the slide show. But if i just want to look at one picture, it does not display.

Strange

thanks you guys

Iphone 4, iOS 4
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (123,370 points)
    The iPhone supports capturing HD video in (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio.

The output for video with the Netflix app has to do with how Netflix is providing/streaming the video with the app.

2nd : When i want to show people pictures i took with my iphone on my TV. I goto the pictures area in the iphone and load the picture. But it does not display on my TV unless i start the slide show. But if i just want to look at one picture, it does not display.

I believe this works with the slideshow option only.
  • Solar71 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hey, thanks a lot Sampson.

So the still image not displaying is not something that i can fix ?
    Its just how the iphone 4 works ? So to show pictures i MUST be in Slideshow mode ? Sorry, im just clarifying.

And you are saying that the Display AND output of the iphone are both 720p ?
    So the lower res output is a problem with the Netflix app itself and not the phone at all? sorry, just wanted to make sure im didnt missunderstand you.

Well, thanks again Sampson.
    So the still image not displaying is not something that i can fix ?

I don't believe so.

And you are saying that the Display AND output of the iphone are both 720p ?

I said the iPhone supports capturing HD video in (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio, which has nothing to do with the video output that is provided by Netflix when streaming video with the Netflix app on the iPhone. This has everything to do with how Netflix is providing/streaming the video with the iPhone app with the iPhone serving a passthrough only for the video when connected to your TV. The quality of the video when streamed from Netflix - 480p has nothing to do with the iPhone. Since the Netflix streamed video with the iPhone app is provided via 480p, the iPhone can't convert that to 720p.
    Thanks again Sampson.

So its the Netflix stream thats 480p not the iphone output. ok i understand that.

Can the iphone 4 output video at 720p if the video in the iphone is 720p ?
    or is the output limited ?

thanks for putting up with my questions
    You're welcome.

Copied from this link.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

And it looks like I was mistaken on the output supported when using the Apple Composite AV Cable for a connection to a TV.

Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately).

Looks like the iPhone supports up to 576p/i and 480p/i when using the composite cable connected to a TV.
    WOW well dang it. I already paid 40$ for the Composite (single yellow video + R/L audio) cable because i have a plug on the side of my TV for easy in/out.

The Component (RGB + R/L audio) was only 5$ more but the connection is on the back of my TV and thus not easy to get to (because my TV is wall mounted). I didnt know there was a resolution difference. /sadface

I only thought there was a difference is color seperation and accuracy.
    Dang, not i have to go and get the other 45& cable as well, and pull my TV off the wall to plug in the cables and then wrap them all up behind the TV when not in use.

Well Sampson, you have helped me a LOT!
    I really appreciate all your help, and patients.