11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2013 12:30 PM by RolandoS
Budsage Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Ability to add new stock listings gets "Failed to Validate" regardless of symbol and despite making extra room for new entries. Anyone?

eMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • 1. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    a brody Level 9 Level 9 (63,295 points)
    Welcome to Apple Discussions!
    10.4.11 hasn't been out since October 25, 2007. I would check the source using this tip:

http://www.macworld.com/article/51624/2006/06/stockfix.html
  • 2. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    Ellen128k Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm having the same problem with OS 10.5.8.

Dashboard stock widget message reads "failed to validate symbol", however, the symbol I'm trying to add is fine.
  • 3. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    TGreif Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Why has Apple not fixed this problem????
  • 5. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    orkid68 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    If you are comfortable getting your hands a little dirty, you can fix this problem yourself manually using just the Finder and TextEdit.

As you know, when you open the widget for the first time, it brings up a default set of stock symbols. What we're going to do is find where the widget keeps those original symbols, and trick it into looking up our preferred stocks instead. It should take less than 15 minutes.

This was done with version 1.3.1, and it's likely to work on other versions as well.

Warnings: We're going to be working with the inner code of the widget. It's very important to work only with a backup of the original file, and to read the instructions beforehand so you know what you're doing, and to be very precise. There is always a risk that something may go wrong. You are responsible for your own hacks. But if you are precise, this should work fine!

Preparing:
    1) First, bring up the dashboard and close your stock widget.
    2) Trash your widget's preference file. It's in your Home/Library/Preferences and is called widget-com.apple.widget.stocks.plist. Note that your previous settings will be lost.
    3) Restart the computer. Do not use the dashboard yet.
    4) Locate the widget file, in your hard drive's root/Library/Widgets. It's just called Stocks.
    5) Option-drag the file somewhere like your desktop to make a backup.
    6) Control-click on the backup and select Show Package Contents.
    7) You'll see a few of the files that make up the widget's code. One of them is called Stocks.js and it's just a simple text file, with an unusual extension on its name. Drag it onto TextEdit.

*Editing the code:*
    8) Close to the top, you'll see several lines that look like this:
    +{symbol:'AAPL', exchange:"", name:"Apple Computer", lasttrade:0, change:0, pctchange:0},+
    9) Replace the stock symbols and company names with the companies you prefer, leaving the quotation marks and other code intact. Be careful not to modify anything else.
    10) If you wish to add any symbols, copy and paste in an extra line of the code, between the other tags. Be aware that each line of code should end with a comma (as seen above), except for the last company. I added one additional line of code. The widget probably has a maximum, so beyond one extra, you're stuck with trial and error. This is one of the reasons we made a backup.

*Finishing up:*
    11) Save and close the file.
    12) Move the original unchanged widget from your Widgets folder, putting it somewhere else for safekeeping. Replace it with your modified backup.
    13) Double-click the modified file. It should open up in the Dashboard and show your stocks!

I hope this helped. I'm not a programmer, but I've been doing small tweaks like this on my Mac since System 7. My favorite part of using a Mac is getting everything just right!
  • 6. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    Ed Parigian Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I had the same issue with the non-validation. Great suggestion on the iStocks widget...thanks BD. Why fuss with the Apple non-performing widget when the iStocks widget has all the same benefits PLUS sorting...which is huge.
    Kind of funny, but the Stocks app works fine on the iPhone, and it allows sorting...go figure.
  • 7. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,480 points)
    Thanks Ed!

Why fuss with the Apple non-performing widget

Precisely my feelings, if there's a 3rd party option it would be hard pressed to be as terrible as an Apple provided solution!
  • 8. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    Raybo Level 1 Level 1 (100 points)
    <quote>10.4.11 hasn't been out since October 25, 2007. I would check the source using this tip:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/51624/2006/06/stockfix.html
    An Apple user since 1981 Mac OS X (10.6.2) </quote>

Don't waste your time. That ancient 2006 Macworld article is worthless for the issue raised here. And beware suggestions elsewhere to download the istock 3rd party widgit. It downloads as a 13 meg file in text format with no extension. May have been corrupted.
  • 9. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    bsahmb Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nicely done! Worked like a champ. Thanks!
  • 10. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    jwilliambaxter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks very much!  The stock widget would accept symbols correctly on our Macs running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) and Lion (OSX 10.7), but not on older systems (G4 desktop and laptop).  I really wanted to get this going - it is so convenient.  Anyway, your method worked beautifully.  I am just wondering how you figured this out!  In any event, thanks so much for your help...

best,

-john

• 11. Re: Stocks widget no longer validating new entries
    RolandoS Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I know this thread started pretty long ago, but in case anybody still needs it, I found what I think is a simpler solution.  I was having the same problem and finally just deleted the widget and installed another stocks widget from Fidelity, but didn't like it.  So I decided to try to find the original Yahoo Finance widget to reinstall, but instead I found an updated version at Martin Backschat’s Blog here:

http://maba.wordpress.com/widgets/

I installed that Version 0.3.8, added my stocks (including indices and mutual funds) and everything is working fine again.