Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moblieme on Mail.app questions

I have a Mobileme account and another POP email account. Both are set up in Mail.app. A few questions:

Does Mobileme check for new mail automatically? If so, can it be set to only check when I click the Send Mail toolbar button?

Can I set a default smtp server when opening a New Message window?

thanks
Ken

Intel iMac, MB Air, iPod Touch, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 2:08 PM

Does Mobileme check for new mail automatically? If so, can it be set to only check when I click the Send Mail toolbar button?

MobileMe uses "push" technology to send messages to your Mac when they arrive. If you don't want this to happen, uncheck the "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" checkbox in Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts -> your MobileMe account -> Advanced tab. Also, in the General pane of Mail's preferences, make sure the "Check for new messages" pop-up is set to Manually. Then, you just click Get Mail (there's no "Send Mail" toolbar button) to download any new messages.

See Mail -> Preferences -> Composing. Look at the "Send new messages from" option.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2010 2:08 PM in response to Ken Stone

MobileMe uses "push" technology to send messages to your Mac when they arrive. If you don't want this to happen, uncheck the "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" checkbox in Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts -> your MobileMe account -> Advanced tab. Also, in the General pane of Mail's preferences, make sure the "Check for new messages" pop-up is set to Manually. Then, you just click Get Mail (there's no "Send Mail" toolbar button) to download any new messages.

See Mail -> Preferences -> Composing. Look at the "Send new messages from" option.

Moblieme on Mail.app questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.